Back Again

Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again

I have been absent from SR for a while. Over the past two years, I have been at various stages in my recovery from codependency. Yet here I am again at the beginning.

Long story short, my EXABF's DOC is Heroin. A little over a year ago, he was arrested for shoplifting. At that time, we were together, but I was on my way out. At the time he was also on probation, which he'd obviously violated. He decided to serve the 13 months attached to his probation. While in prison, he went through a treatment program. He made progress and I felt like there could be a light at the end of the tunnel for us. 3 months before his release, his brother/best friend, past away from a lethal combination of drugs. It was devastating for him. His brother meant everything to him, so I knew it was going to hit him hard. He coped and found other inmates extremely supportive, but he acknowledged that it wouldn't be real until he got out. I encouraged him to make a plan for dealing with his grief, but he didn't take me seriously.

Unfortunately, his sobriety didn't last once he got out. He didn't know how to cope with his loss, and he turned to his old friend drugs. He basically went on a meth binge that's lasted 4 months. I realized early on that he was both using and cheating, again. From then on, I made it clear he was no longer welcome in my home. Over the past 4 months, I remained in contact with him, but I am proud to say that I stuck to the boundary I set for myself. He begs for me to take him back almost daily, but I just can't do it anymore.

At this point, I am starting to detach from him completely. Today I had an epiphany. This is my chance to break free from this codependent relationship, and live my life for me. He and I have no children together, nor do we share any property, so it will be a clean break. I think I've been slowly detaching over the past 4 months, and I am ready to cease contact with him. I know I'm the one who holds the key to my own success.

I'd appreciate any support or advice.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I know I'm the one who holds the key to my own success.
And therein lies the wisdom, you hold the key to your happiness, your life and your wonderful new beginnings that await you.

I am sorry he fell back into old ways, it's an old yet sad story and I hope he does one day overcome it all.

But I am happier that you are no longer putting your life on hold, waiting for what may take years or may never happen.

Experience is a great teacher in life and the lessons learned bring us courage and strength to walk forward so very much wiser for the journey.

Hugs
Old 08-23-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLH2282 View Post
I have been absent from SR for a while. Over the past two years, I have been at various stages in my recovery from codependency. Yet here I am again at the beginning.

Long story short, my EXABF's DOC is Heroin. A little over a year ago, he was arrested for shoplifting. At that time, we were together, but I was on my way out. At the time he was also on probation, which he'd obviously violated. He decided to serve the 13 months attached to his probation. While in prison, he went through a treatment program. He made progress and I felt like there could be a light at the end of the tunnel for us. 3 months before his release, his brother/best friend, past away from a lethal combination of drugs. It was devastating for him. His brother meant everything to him, so I knew it was going to hit him hard. He coped and found other inmates extremely supportive, but he acknowledged that it wouldn't be real until he got out. I encouraged him to make a plan for dealing with his grief, but he didn't take me seriously.

Unfortunately, his sobriety didn't last once he got out. He didn't know how to cope with his loss, and he turned to his old friend drugs. He basically went on a meth binge that's lasted 4 months. I realized early on that he was both using and cheating, again. From then on, I made it clear he was no longer welcome in my home. Over the past 4 months, I remained in contact with him, but I am proud to say that I stuck to the boundary I set for myself. He begs for me to take him back almost daily, but I just can't do it anymore.

At this point, I am starting to detach from him completely. Today I had an epiphany. This is my chance to break free from this codependent relationship, and live my life for me. He and I have no children together, nor do we share any property, so it will be a clean break. I think I've been slowly detaching over the past 4 months, and I am ready to cease contact with him. I know I'm the one who holds the key to my own success.

I'd appreciate any support or advice.

Thanks

Mlh, glad to see you here, and on your way to a happier life. I am happy for you that it will be a clean break... that's no small blessing.

And yes, you hold the key! You sound like you have taken back your power. Stay strong, even in times of sadness, if you have them. It will pass, and happiness will win out.

good to meet you. we are here to support you, any time.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Today I had an epiphany. This is my chance to break free from this codependent relationship, and live my life for me. He and I have no children together, nor do we share any property, so it will be a clean break. I think I've been slowly detaching over the past 4 months, and I am ready to cease contact with him. I know I'm the one who holds the key to my own success.

I'd appreciate any support or advice."
================================================== =====
With all due respect, your statement is strong and full of purpose----we'll give you all
the support and advice you need......but you honestly seem to have a bead on the problem,
are ready to pull the trigger, and are DONE with equivocation.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So-o happy for you that you had the epiphany that you have had. Good for you!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound strong and at peace. Moving forward is difficult but staying is worse.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Cut the cord, ditch him, and move on to better (and saner) things.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you!

qwer
Old 09-11-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

MLH, are stories are very similar. No kids, not even living together. jail time involved. I made the break after 3.5 years. It was difficult but necessary. I saw what my life had become and one day it hit me just how insane I was being giving up my life to an addict that really wasn't trying real hard. I am so happy and free. It's amazing to look back and see the damage I let him to do me. You will not regret your decision. Just be strong and don't waiver.