Notices

Awful, sour smelling urine

Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awful, sour smelling urine

This started about two months ago. When I'm drinking heavily or when I wake up in the morning after drinking heavily, when I urinate, it smells so strong and completely toxic, like rotten eggs.

Tried to do some research and the closest thing that relates to this problem is ketosis, an issue that mostly people who are fasting experience, an issue with too low of sugar intake.

I don't have a low sugar intake.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm led to believe that one of my organs is failing and it's a huge sign to get sober.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

See your Dr. And if you're still drinking, it may be time to quit. Do you have other problems related to your drinking?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have other problems related to drinking besides the normal things.

I'm not sure I can blame dehydration as the problem. I work a very physical job and drink 1-2 gallons of water per day before drinking myself to sleep.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Try not drinking and see if it goes away. Going to the doctors is a good idea.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Obviously your body is trying to tell you something.
Are you interested in quitting drinking? None of us can diagnose you over the internet.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by LSC1 View Post
Try not drinking and see if it goes away. Going to the doctors is a good idea.
I am poisoning myself and having health problems what do you suppose is wrong?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I am poisoning myself and having health problems what do you suppose is wrong?
Fair enough and I completely agree that sobriety is something that is desperately needed in my life, but I made this thread in hopes that a fellow alcoholic has experienced the same thing. Believe me, I really hope that it is an alcohol related issue which will be rectified with sobriety.

I find very little information of alcoholics dealing with this, though. Which is why I made the thread. I am very concerned.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Could be anything. Dehydration, liver function and etc. The only way to know is to see a doctor. I used to also drink myself to sleep and I never slept well. Always waking around 3-4am unable to sleep for a couple hours, then fell into a deep sleep only to have to wake early. Put me in a terrible mood for the day. The sleep I have since quitting is absolute heaven.

I juiced for an entire week after quitting. Lemons, kale, carrots, beets, garlic, ginger, celery...then I broke out on my neck as my body detoxed.

Trust me, your body doesn't want or need the booze.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know when I was drinking I didn't want to go to a doctor because I didn't want to know how sick I was. You should be concerned but like a car with bad gas it is pretty tough to diagnose what's wrong until the bad gas is flushed out of the system.

If you want a reason to quit do so because you don't want to kill yourself or someone else
Old 08-23-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand if you've been drinking, maybe you aren't thinking straight, but you need to speak with your doctor. And be honest about the volume you are drinking.

We can't diagnose, and besides it could be anything. For example, eating Asparagus makes Urine smell.

The bottom line is, you know your body is not well. See a doctor.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm led to believe that one of my organs is failing and it's a huge sign to get sober.
The fact that you're here is a huge sign to get sober. I recommend going here also:

Alcoholics Anonymous : Find Local A.A.

My experience is that alcohol, being the slow poison that it is, wrecks havoc on virtually ALL of your mind and body. For details, consult a qualified doctor.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the title of this thread reminded me of my flat when i first came off the drink, and i could smell the stale urine smell all around the flat, it really was like a toilet that hadn't been cleaned in months

my first thought on the thread title was at last someone else who has been were i have been : )

sorry to hear your have problems in the water works but a dr is the only place to seek help from in that area as we are not drs here

so please go and see one is my advice and good luck to you
Old 08-23-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
the title of this thread reminded me of my flat when i first came off the drink
Funny how we don't really notice these things 'til we stop. Urine, diarrhea, vomit, blood, sweat, alcohol itself. Stays in mattresses and carpets for a long time. Others notice but we don't. How screwed up is that?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen View Post
I don't have other problems related to drinking besides the normal things.

I'm not sure I can blame dehydration as the problem. I work a very physical job and drink 1-2 gallons of water per day before drinking myself to sleep.
Besides the "normal things?" I never had any problems with drinking other than hangovers that lasted for days, withdrawal symptoms, missing time at work, and feeling like I was dying.

Drinking yourself to sleep dehydrates you. Alcohol is a diuretic. I would seriously consider talking to your doctor and being honest about your alcohol consumption.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Could be anything. Best advise is go see a doctor. Or quit drinking now for 30 days and see what happens. When I was drinking heavily my urine smelled terrible and was dark yellow after couple hours of drinking. I rehydrated during non drinking hours. But those hours lessened throughout the years.

Best we can tell you is quit drinking and see a doctor.

Best of luck
Old 08-23-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hiya Soartan

Anything out of the ordinary needs checking . Your doc is the best person to do this .
She will give you a urine test to check for infection or lots of other things .

you need to be totally up front with your doc and dont sugarcoat your alcoholism.

It is what it is .

If you don't get satisfaction , you may need to shop around as many docs just don't " get it "

Good luck , I'm sure things will be fine . Just get some peace of mind for yourself xx
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just wanted to jump in & say that I'm thinking about you, Spartan. When I first started lurking around this board back in Oct of last year yours were some of the first posts I read. I have often wondered how you are doing. Now I know.

For what it's worth, I'm still here...rooting for your success.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sobriety sorted out ALL of my bodily malfunctions!!

Drinking heavily is going to cause problems eventually, it comes with the territory, the human body is not invincible!!

I remember googling to find reassurance that the problems I was experiencing weren't "too bad" so I could continue drinking, but in the end Sobriety was the cure I was looking for!!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some posts have been removed due to Medical Advice.

Please do not ask for or offer medical advice.