Notices

First post, 6 days sober

Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, 6 days sober

I'm writing this because I wanted to tell someone I'm sober and that I intend to quit drinking (even though I really really don't want to).

I've been "trying to cut back" for about two years. This upcoming year is going to be full of stress for me and I don't think I will be able to handle everything if I keep drinking.

I'm not having a hard time physically, but I'm constantly mentally wavering in my commitment and I'm around alcohol every day. I just wanted to tell someone I quit, even though I haven't had the courage to tell anyone else or say it out loud to myself yet.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sharpdistance
It will be trying, at first, but there is plenty of support at this site. Hopefully you hsve external supports to help you out, too. Come back and post here anytime for whatever reason. Cheers and good luck

~Bunnez
Old 08-22-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, sharpdistance. SR is a place for support, encouragement and understanding; glad you found us.

I didn't make any announcements to my family, friends, etc. when I decided to stop drinking, either.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done sharpdistance, welcome to living!
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sharpdistance!!

I went round in circles for a long time trying to "cut back" too, until finally the penny dropped that the 1st drink was my actual problem, and so I needed to cut that out permanently to make any real progress, as alcohol was affecting my life!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sharp, you came to the right place--Welcome! Spend the time you used to drink perusing this site and don't be afraid to post questions.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, congratulations on 6 days sober. You don't have to say anything out loud yet, or anytime for that matter. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

6 days notice your throat irritated or phlemgy? I'm going on 4 and I dunno it's weird. I've had the phlegm morning after ya know and irritation but just seems weird. Congrats 6 days. I know myself don't plan on completely hitting but I need to go back to moderation and drinking only when it calls for it, not everyday cause a tv show I like is on or something. Don't care how depressed I was that got me into this shot routine.

Sorry for the extra that you didn't need feel kinda dumb having a problem. I was just curious about the plegm or throat if you had that going?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you sharpdistance - congratulations on your decision!

I tried cutting back too - was tired of feeling fuzzy & foggy. I wasn't able to manage the amounts I drank, so I stopped. It was great to feel clear headed & alive again. Drinking actually makes us more anxious - but we always think it's calming us down. I'm sure you'll feel so much better without it in your life. Glad you found us.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support. Congrats on six days sober.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Sharpdistance, I'm right behind you on day 5. Tried the "cut back" approach many times myself. Always ends up right back where the beast wants to be. Same as you, it ain't the drink, its the drunk. I never truly wanted to quit either (despite having plenty of reasons to). I just liked being intoxicated. But I got results back from my last physical and I've got liver enzyme levels in my blood, 50% the max they ought to be. Yeah that's damage. Hopefully not the irreversible kind, but who knows. I know this, livers only last so long and I ain't trying to die. So fuuuuuuck that. Stay with your commitment my man cause I'm pretty sure you ain't itching to die of liver failure either. I'm 48 incidentally, with 20 solid years of knocking back the better part of a liter a day.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. Today I told my partner (who drinks every day) that I'm quitting. He was supportive.
Korwinn, I haven't noticed an irritated or phlegmy throat but I've heard alcohol can lower the body's ability to clear mucous so maybe your body is just getting rid of a back log of mucous?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome Sharpdistance, a week sober? That's great.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by sharpdistance View Post
I'm writing this because I wanted to tell someone I'm sober and that I intend to quit drinking (even though I really really don't want to).

I've been "trying to cut back" for about two years. This upcoming year is going to be full of stress for me and I don't think I will be able to handle everything if I keep drinking.

I'm not having a hard time physically, but I'm constantly mentally wavering in my commitment and I'm around alcohol every day. I just wanted to tell someone I quit, even though I haven't had the courage to tell anyone else or say it out loud to myself yet.
Congrat's on day 6 and for having the desire to post! Good for you!

Try to turn really, really don't want to - into really, really want to enjoy the benefits of sobriety more than the dismemberment mind, body and spirit of being drunk. Need to find that really, really,really my friend.......But you will!!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can I say congratulations on a week? Hope so. Welcome.