Notices

Looking for answers. please leave replies

Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for answers. please leave replies

I'm absolutely terrified to go to AA, what if someone I know is there? This is a big secret for me at the moment I'm only 21

Also the prospect of never drinking again terrifies me help would be much appreciated
Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The prospect of never drinking again terrified me too. I decided I would just take not drinking a day at a time. Today I won't drink. Tomorrow, I will decide about when it arrives. But today, I won't drink.

As for AA, I feared the same thing. What comforted me is that anyone I see in those rooms has the same problem as I. And chances are pretty good that they don't want me running out and telling everyone that I saw them at AA. If you see someone you know, you can always speak to them after the meeting and tell them that you are new and haven't gone public with your alcohol problem yet. I doubt there is anyone working on their sobriety who wouldn't understand that.

Best of luck to you! You can do this!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SR is a bit more anonymous than AA. Stay or go, your choice. Continued drinking will take away your choice if you are a problem drinker. Also maybe consider that these people have the same problem. Methinks you will be surprised at the welcome reception you get. Best wishes on putting the plug in the jug.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly, if I ever went to an AA meeting and did see someone I knew there? I'd probably feel a tremendous sense of relief and 'not aloneness'. Serious.

Hasn't happened yet. I'll keep going and hoping though.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried one to one counselling instead?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My take on this is that I could either save face or I could save my a$$. Pride and ego were not going to keep me from saving my life. So. . .I went to AA and I was met by a GOOD friend I hadn't seen in about 2 years. She ran up to hug me and life was grand. Yep, I wasn't alone and, now, neither was she. It connected us in a much deeper, healthier way.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lastchance!!

If alcohol is negatively affecting your life, then we need to make changes to our drinking, for me that was quite scary too, but continuing drinking and my life spiralling scared me even more, so I bite the bullet and took a leap of faith!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, if AA isn't your thing, but support is going to be essential in some form to keep you pushing through!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Couple of questions for you:

Why would someone you know be at an AA meeting?

How many times in your life has someone said to you, "Guess who I saw at an AA meeting last night!"?

If you asked your addiction to alcohol whether or not you should go to an AA meeting, what would it say?

break break

I'm not a 12-stepper, but I have been to over a hundred AA meetings. I liked some of them and didn't like others, but my anonymity was never in doubt.

You can do this.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lastchance44 View Post
Also the prospect of never drinking again terrifies me help would be much appreciated
The prospect of drinking the rest of my life the way I was scared me more.

I don't do meetings but I have been many times - I wouldn't worry
and good for you realizing so young that you have a problem and want to fix it!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What if someone who knows you finds you passed out in the gutter. That thought terrifies me.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think all of us are really scared at the idea of never drinking again. But, you will be able to deal with this.

I haven't used AA but I suspect people respect each other's anonymity. And, there is always support here at SR.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That scary thought for me is coming from what I call my "addictive voice." IT is afraid of not getting it's pleasure ever again. Ignore it. Eventually it loses it's power.

I Use Rational Recovery or AVRT. Some combine it with AA.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

There's an online mtn here tonight check with admin but i m sure there is online mtn tonight

See you there