Notices

New to recovery

Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New to recovery

After receiving a DWI which wasn't even half as drunk as I know I have been while driving, I decided it was time to evaluate my drinking and make some changes in my life. Although I didn't drink daily, I found my issue was stopping once starting where I would drink until I was completely wasted. In evaluating my drinking habits I now realize they weren't normal. The passing out and getting sick in taxis, side of the road, in my car while driving, or in strange restrooms were all behaviors that weren't normal or healthy. I feel strong feelings of shame and regret that at 37 years old I am barely coming to terms that I have a problem with drinking. Although a term of my probation, I have refrained from drinking even though friends say "no one will know", but I know and know I won't get better if I continue drinking. Currently at 38 days sober and amazingly enough I feel so much better about myself and have even lost 10 lbs during that time. I forgot what life was like not waking up hung over, being able to make quick decisions at work, have productive workouts, and not feel suicidal or overly emotional after a binge weekend. I plan to use this forum to better understand my situation and connect with others in similar situations.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats to 38 days sober!
A few times in sobriety I have woken up sore from working out and in my sleep haze thought I was waking up with a hangover. The IMMENSE relief when I realize I am not is priceless. =D
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello glad to meet you look forward to hearing from u welcome
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome. You will find a lot of support and useful information from so many great folks here! 38 is awesome!!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you nwmxn. This is a great place to talk things over. No one understands like your fellow alkies.

Congratulations on your 38 sober days. Things will continue to get better.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on a great start! You will find a lot of wonderful support here.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations with your ability to be more clear headed and functional. Continue down that path and thins will get better. Maintaining a sober lifestyle often requires changes in our thinking and reaction patterns to lifes general happenings. Studying our reactions to our AV is critical to continue sobriety. For instance I needed to stop getting cigarettes at package stores, stay away from drinking situations, avoid bar rooms for a long time and avoid “friends” that could influence my actions.
For us alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. This can affect many around us and cause a life we wouldn’t want.

BE WELL