Notices

Coming clean to my doctor for the first time

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming clean to my doctor for the first time

I've known for quite some time that I have a problem with alcohol. I've regularly cancelled annual physicals, mammograms, flu shots- you name it - all in favor of keeping my addiction secret.

I scheduled an appt with my GP for Monday and was so embarrassed to admit the reason when the receptionist asked... I simply stated " alcohol issue". She hesitated, but scheduled the meeting for next week.

I am 12 hours clean today.

Thank you for this outlet.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great stuff Chrissy!!

It always amazes me that in some parts of the world receptionists ask the reason for an appointment, I always say "to see a Dr" and then after that "it's between me and him", just to make things easier in the future!!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations. That’s a big step, now try to be totally honest with your GP as it’s to your advantage. You may be told things for you to take action on, better now than when it’s too late.

BE WELL
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

That really is a significant step forward, Chrissy. I'm sure you won't regret this - it could change your life
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be honest with him/her. Truly, painfully honest. if you are drinking 8 glasses of wine a day, tell them, but... if it is really 24 shots a day, TELL THEM THAT too.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you. Be brutally honest about your drinking-they've heard it all before.
I wish you the best and hope you get a clean bill of health.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are so courageous for making the appointment and also for posting here. Keep it up! You can do this!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Most likely they've heard it all before.

"Alcohol issue"... I bet the receptionist was just figuring how to classify the appointment and how much time to schedule. doctors often charge according to the type of appointment it is. Follow-up vs. a physical for example.
They also have to figure out how much time to schedule for each type of patient.

I remembering scheduling an appointment with my doctor for an embarrassing problem and I just told the receptionist I had a sore shoulder. As soon as my doctor walked in I told her it wasn't my shoulder after all.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A big benefit for me when I did this, was that my decision took on a whole nother layer of reality. It really helped me solidify my resolve and reaffirm my decision to get sober. It wasn't just a wish or a hope, it now had a plan, and telling my Dr was a very important and rational part of that plan.

You won't regret it. My Dr didn't even raise an eyebrow when she learned I was consuming twice the weekly allowance every single day. We can fix that she said. We did.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Follow up - my doctor was incredibly supportive. Told me I was brave for "coming out of the shadows". My blood tests all came back in the normal range. I have appointments scheduled for a full physical and mammogram in the next 2 weeks along with a meeting with a therapist. Still alcohol free. I'm going to check out a newcomers AA meeting on Tuesday. Appreciate everyone's 0.02

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery