Notices

New user, just wanted to share my story

Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New user, just wanted to share my story

Hi, I'm a new user here on the forum. I've only been sober since Aug. 15th. I divorced back in 2009 and my drinking has slowly worsened every year. I'm starting to see the downward spiral im headed down. It's bad how deceiving alcohol can be; and it's really tough knowing that you have an addiction to it. I've been fighting the cravings for almost a week now. It's been tough. I was never a morning drinker. I only started drinking when i got home from work. That's the hard part for me now, is trying to break the habit of the 5 o'clock drinking time.

I just wondering, how long will it take for the little monster inside me to finally die? Or does it ever?

I'm still fighting the cravings every evening. Trying to stay busy doing other things now. Any suggestions for riding out the cravings?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Knoble, welcome to SR! And congrats on one week!

Lots of tips around here. Here is one good thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

And coming here and posting and reading helps too .
Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Molotov Kitty!

Welcome! Seems everyone's journey is different. It's a great start now....
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think we can use alcohol to get through a difficult time and then find that it has a hold on us and we can't get away from it.

My suggestion re the 5pm issue is to do things differently. Go out for a walk before supper, or go to the gym - change your usual daily routine. It can help a lot in the early days.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome!

I don't know whether that little monster ever really dies...

But closing in on 8 months and the monster is a whimpering little pest at most.

You can do it.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive. That little monster not only is immortal but it grows bigger and bigger if it is fed. I lost everything before I got help and I mean everything. Career, house, car, health, girlfriend, money, assets, dignity. All gone.

Get help now while you still have a life to save.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's replies. I plan on becoming active here on SR. I think it really helps for me to know that we are not alone in fighting this battle. I just didn't know it would be this tough. I keep telling myself it will get better with time though.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna, I sure plan on changing my evening schedule. Go for walks, get busy doing house chores, etc
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi knoble! Glad you're here. It really helped my 'cravings' when I learned about my/our AV or addict voice. What I thought were cravings were really this kreepy voice in me wanting me to drink, wanting to take everything from me, basically wanting me dead. This really helped me understand what was going on in my head, or at least some of it.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome The monster does quiet down after a while. Not sure if it ever goes away, but we'll see. I have found that each time I don't give in, the voice weakens.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Having a split mind is rough--the monster (AV) says everything will be fine with a drink--the rational mind knows better but the AV is persistent. For me, looking the monster in the eye and calling her "LIAR" helps--it sorta cancels the invite to my head and AV has to go. Also staying busy helps.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Knoble!!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Knoble,

In my first days of sobriety, my biggest weapon was food.

Some people say exercise, but to me, hunger was always well-fed with barley sandwiches.

High protein foods like ice cream and meat are great, and all you can eat buffets are also fantastic. When you're full, you don't want to drink. Keep some nuts (peanuts, almonds, etc) nearby to snack on when you get hungry.

Sure, eating poorly at the beginning of sobriety isn't great. But it's better than the alternative.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there, I just wanted to say I love how you described "your monster" That is how I have always tried to describe it to non-alcholics as well. I would say "it is like there is a monster living inside me, who sleeps. But with one sip of alcohol the monster is awake and once the monster is awake I no longer have control. Sometimes the monster might be satisfied with just a few drinks (rarely) but most of the time the monster isn't satisfied until I am black out drunk, passed out. Once the monster is awake (after just one sip remember) I have no control. The only bit of control I have over this monster is making sure she stays asleep, and to do that I cannot have even one sip of alcohol."

But remember, the monster is always there, sleeping, waiting. YOu need to be strong. I found staying close to this forum has kept me stronger than I have ever been. I unfortunately don't have another source of support where I am, but if you do where you are I would suggest taking advantage of it.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks! Yes, that is true! If i come home from work on an empty stomach, then I'm really craving alcohol. If I eat something the second I get home, the craving isn't near as bad
Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was having an extremely strong craving the other day and it turned out that I was just dehydrated and needed some water. I kind of found that it a bit humorous that I was confusing the need to drink something that will eventually kill me for something that will prolong my life.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

things get easier with time. The monster is at it's strongest in the early weeks, it moves into the convincing/cunning stage after that. At three years I am rarely bothered by the beast- he is there however looking for opportunity.

I found having something sweet prior to my usual drinking time helped. It also helped to know that every time you don't cave the addiction gets weaker- so bring the cravings on!! You know they will occur so have a plan- I discovered I can not really watch TV unless I am either sedated, interested in the show or worn out from exercise. I took up a few hobbies to keep busy- it helps
Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard knoble

D