Notices

Feels like something is missing...

Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feels like something is missing...

While I was using, the only thing that would help get through the day was knowing that I was going to get high that night. It was like an anticipation high almost, I was almost content and happy knowing soon I would be able to leave reality.

Now I have been sober for 25 days and, while I am so glad that I'm not in active addiction, I just miss having that "something" to look forward each day. Like something is missing almost. I almost want to make some outrageous plans to move out or do something crazy with my hair just to make my life seem meaningful lol.

I find that meditation in the morning at night help me feel more balanced and full but I obviously don't look forward to it in the way I did with drugs and alcohol.

Has anyone else felt like this in early sobriety and did you eventually get used to it?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, I felt that way about alcohol and it's very common to miss your high/drink/etc. It's also common though to forget all the bad things that go along with said high - and those 2 things cannot be separated in real life. Part of being sober to is learning how to deal with reality rather than leaving it - because it's still here when you come back, no matter how high you get, and many times there are more problems than there were before you left.

Are you working any kind of program or seeing anyone for counseling at all? Simply "not using" is not very successful for most.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have the experience to answer your question but I can already empathise with your feeling that something is missing. I'm very aware that drink filled a hole in my life - and in the process gouged that hole ever deeper, its no longer a hole I know the shape of, so how am I to know what to put in it?

I'm doing this for my health, for my quality of life, for my family, for my future - so that I can have a future. While I don't know what I'm gonna do with my future days, I do know I want them. That's my focus for now. Goodness knows what the next step is or how I will adjust to having empty hours...

Thanks for your honesty. It's a comfort knowing im not alone with such thoughts.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I eventually started looking forward to waking up sober, the sunrise, my coffee, the sunset, dinner with my husband... things that I might've considered "boring" before getting sober
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Are you working any kind of program or seeing anyone for counseling at all? Simply "not using" is not very successful for most.
Yes, I forgot to mention I attend 12 step meetings and I am going through the steps with a sponser. There's no way I would have been able to stay sober this long without a program.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
learning to live

Yes! I totally felt/feel that way. It seemed also the more sober time that passed the more I felt that way! In early days I think I was flying on the pink cloud of recovery and that was my "high".

Some things I look forward to;
gym...this was kinda like a saying I heard in AA keep going til you like it, ha.
yummy dinners - I would not eat when drinking so something as simple as dinner is a plus
bubble baths
yoga
reading a good book
reading/posting SR

Just to name a few.
Good luck jake! I totally get what you are saying
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Serendipity! I was in the local leisure centre this evening with my kids and just this week they are offering free memberships to people that can't afford gym fees for use during off peak hours. Yippee!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I watched a lot of funny movies or went out for coffee or food in the evenings. I did get used to it after a while xx