Notices

New Member Intro!

Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Member Intro!

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum today. I have been sober for 3 weeks and one day. I have known for years that I am an alcoholic. Just about 5 years ago I found out that my grandpa was an alcoholic but quit before I was born so I never knew. That explained a lot to me, I always wondered why I had no control when it came to alcohol and why I was like this. I believe I just inherited the alcoholic gene. I have never been a social drinker, I had issues since my first drink. For the last four years or so I have only drank once every few months. But lately every time after, I feel so guilty and depressed, even if nothing bad happens, that it's just not worth it. And I am not myself of course, I completely lose my own mind and do things I wouldn't ordinarily want to do and I don't want to lose that control anymore. So I finally faced the fact that it is impossible for me to just have one drink. The intention of one drink has always led to completely wasted. And so I know I need to be completely sober. So here I am, I really like group forums for specific things. I'm not in AA, for personal reasons, and so I just like to have somewhere to check in to talk to like-minded people who know what it's like. I tried a facebook group but I really prefer to be anonymous and a lot of the people there were incredibly judgmental towards any of us who didn't use AA, claiming it is the ONLY way to get sober. So here I am, this seems like a great place with specific forums for AA or not, or what have you. Glad to be here
Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome SunshineDay!

I felt so much better when I found SR & could talk things over with those who understood. I had no family members or friends who drank the way I did. Alcohol changed my personality too - and in the end it became dangerous & unpredictable every time it was in my system. It feels great to be free. Glad you are here.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome SunshineDay. I have found this forum to be so helpful as I negotiate the path towards permanent sobriety. You are off to a great start, 3 weeks and 1 day is really amazing! Congratulations on your decision and be sure to let us know how we can help. Post away, as I said it has been a big help to me and I am sure you will find it to be helpful too.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome from a fellow Wisconsinite Sunshine! SR is definitely a place that is not specific to any recovery method, there are many represented here and many use SR itself as a recovery method ( or a supplement to another ).

While no recovery method is the "only" way, I would caution against dismissing any of them until you have learned more about them and tried them. For example, I am not officially part of AA but I read the big book and have been to meetings. I am not a follower of AVRT either, but I do follow some of the premises. The point is, try whatever you can and use what works. Most of us need something more than just willpower, so gather as many tools as you can.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on 22 days! SR is an excellent resource. You'll find tons of support and encouragement here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations! I use some AVRT and spiritual books and internet sites focusing on spirituality. Here every day. Fairly new.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there, SunshineDay, and welcome to SR! Great job on three weeks and a day! So much great support on this site and, I find, always something helpful to read.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum SunshineDay!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR community Sunshineday! Great support here.

Best of luck