Notices

hello

Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile hello

Just making my first step to takling my drinking.

Planning to not drink from Sept 1st. need to break the routine / cycle
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jason and welcome. What a great decision you have made to quit if you have a problem. But why wait? Today is my day 1 after a series of relapses. Want to start together today? I will tell you form experience it is not easy, but it is do-able. The thing you have to remember is that no matter how much you put it off you have to get through those first days. The alcoholic voice inside your brain will give you a million reasons to put it off- an upcoming party, a wedding a funeral, a work function, a sunny day, a rainy day, a brunch a dinner a happy hour.....
If you feel you need to quit there is no better time than the present. Best of luck whatever you decide and if you want to give it a go today I will be right here with you fighting. We can do this. it is much easier with support and I have found the support here to be immense.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonNorth View Post

Planning to not drink from Sept 1st. need to break the routine / cycle
welcome to site Jason

you can do it

Bob
Old 08-19-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome to SR Jason. Lots of good people and information here. Read.... Post... Join in as much as you feel you can. The rewards of being sober will be apparent.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jason

why Septenber the first tho? Why not today?

D
Old 08-19-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too have recently stopped after relapsing several times this year. I am on day 8 and my life is so much more pleasant.
One of the first times I quit I remember being at the grocery store about to let myself buy a bottle of wine for the night and thought NO! I have to stop this cycle!
I so tired of making the same decisions over and over again expecting different results.
Just think... if you quit today September first you would be 14 days sober!! =D
Old 08-19-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. I guess I am building myself up. 1st of a month seems like drawing a line. Ive only ever managed to stop for any considerable period from the 1st January. 11 days this year (poor show i know) & 6 weeks the year before.

I also have a 3 day music festival this weekend with 7 friends. i've been looking forward to it for ages. There is no way I could avoid drinking if i went.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks. I guess I am building myself up. 1st of a month seems like drawing a line. Ive only ever managed to stop for any considerable period from the 1st January. 11 days this year (poor show i know) & 6 weeks the year before.

I also have a 3 day music festival this weekend with 7 friends. i've been looking forward to it for ages. There is no way I could avoid drinking if i went.
First, you CAN avoid drinking at the music festival, it is possible, but I understand you.
I think a huge part of quitting is mental strength and if you feel that you will have better success waiting until the first then you know best. Keep reading and posting here between now and then to keep up your resolve. We are here whenever you are ready to stop and also all the times in between. I admit, it is a massive undertaking, but totally possible. I say that as a reminder to myself as much as it is a reminder to you. We know how you feel.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

but I have always tried to tackle it on my own & in private. so this forum is the first step to any support.

& I can see already you're very helpful bunch.

its actually a relief to be able to post something about it. although it still feels like someone i know might read it as i type. (ive used a pseudonym OBVS)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

but I have always tried to tackle it on my own & in private. so this forum is the first step to any support.

& I am can see already you're very helpful bunch.

its actually a relief to be able to post something about it. although it still feels like someone i know might read it as i type. (ive used a pseudonym OBVS)
That is totally understandable. Privacy is important to so many of us. I wouldn't want anyone I know in my day to day life to read what I have written here. I have told those closest to me about my intention to quit though and that has helped me in a number of circumstances. I think you could start by telling a few close, trustworthy friends about your decision if you feel comfortable. You can keep the fact that you have registered here private though so no one is tempted to come and have a look at your private thoughts here among other alcoholics. Feel free to share as much or as little as you want here. Posting is really helpful, but so is just reading the stories, thoughts and experiences of others.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When your priority becomes sobriety, you'll find success.