Notices

Peripheral neuropathy

Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Peripheral neuropathy

Has anyone ever had tingling or pains in their feet that was diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy caused by alcohol? If so, did it resolve ( with or without treatment?) when you quit drinking ???
I think I may have this ...
Xxx
Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I had it in my hands. It resolved after I quit drinking. I don't recall how long it took.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Nons... Any idea if it was days, weeks, months, years ???
Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have it in both feet. Started in January this year, toes all the way up my calves. Once I quit drinking in May and started working out again, it began to decrease. Bottoms of my feet still hurt when I walk barefoot, but otherwise I'm funtioning normally
Old 08-18-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have it in my feet ankles and hands. It lightens up when I stop drinking. From what I researched its not reversible. I take nuerotin for it. Continuing drinking and smoking will kill more periphial nerve cells .
Old 08-18-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
I have it in my feet ankles and hands. It lightens up when I stop drinking. From what I researched its not reversible. I take nuerotin for it. Continuing drinking and smoking will kill more periphial nerve cells .
Can I ask you what it feel like in your feet? and also hands. Is it pure ache like arthritis, or tingling? like they have pins/needles or they went to sleep. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought it was arthritis because it was a sharp pain at the joint of the big toe in just one foot.. Now that is still there but the other toes on both feet tingle .. I can't say they hurt but it is very uncomfortable...I have SERIOUSLY stopped drinking now ( Day 3) and am praying it goes away ...
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This site is very helpful in quiting when you know your done with it. I hope the neuropathy goes away soon! Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It flucuates between pins, needles, numbness, buring and quick shooting darting pains. It started in 2007 in my right hand and oddly my face. Then over the years both hands outer upper arms and both feet and ankles.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It also flares when I come in contact with certain household cleaning products.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

For me it's faded in all extremities but still there after 6 mos. No big deal, everything works.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hands. Still there. They work like their upside down.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Feet, big time, pain like knives stabbing into side and top of foot
Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you still drinking ' keeping it in the day'? X
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes unfortunately but nowhere near as bad. Still fighting my demons☹
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Generally Good News

I had it. It started in my Big Toes, and it spreads as Nerve Cells die. 'Peripheral' meaning 'outlying', it generally affects Limbs first. It spread to my Feet. Then, to Shins/Calves, and Forearms.

Sensations are often described as 'Bugs crawling around on your Skin', and prickling/stinging. 'Stabbing' pains are more advanced symptoms. Other Reports include the sensation of having 'Mittens', or Touch-dulling Gloves on. Same with Feet; like having thick Socks on. This can lead to limited Mobility. Serious shite, that.

I went in for Tests, and got results I could have predicted myself. Ironically, my Hands were shaking so bad then intermittently, I could barely fill out the Med Forms. I had to fill them out on a Waist-high Countertop to stabilize myself. My writing was Chicken-scratch by then; barely legible.

I was prescribed 'Neurontin' ['Lyrica'], and found it quite awful. On-line Forums have plenty of stories about it. DumbAzz me, I was still Drinking then.

This episode was further impetus to just up and quit Drinking. When I did, the symptoms generally subsided to where I don't really notice it now.

In advanced cases, Nerves controlling functions like Kidneys and Heart Rate can be damaged. I would notice, from other reasons, perhaps, involuntary 'overheating' where I would just be flushed for no reason. Right or wrong, I chalked that up to Nerve/Body 'Control' damage.

Literature says it's not reversible, and I agree that's true. Some symptoms, however, seem to be temporary while Drinking. They subside in Abstinence. Cases really vary. So, Neuropathy or may not fully go away in Abstinence. Unsolicited Advice: cut your losses and continue Abstinent.

I want to stay within Guidelines here to not give Medical Advice. Google in the topic, and you'll see some things you can do to replace what you're 'leaching' out of Body while Drinking. Simple, Drugstore-based strategy that has generally worked for the most important case: me.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have had it while actively drinking. It was terrifying. Fortunately in abstinence it has subsided.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Unsolicited Advice: cut your losses and continue Abstinent.
Solicited or not, tough to find fault with that one.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mesa man and whiskey : how long was it after stopping that it subsided? Was it excruciating pains or tingling? Or both? .. Thanks for good advice everyone! X
Old 08-19-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tingling for me. Sometimes very distracting, but not excruciating. When it traveled up to my Forearms, that freaked me out and got my attention. Functioning Hands good. Incapable Hands bad.

Forgot to answer this part. Sorry... Got better after weeks. Got better still after 3 or 4 months for me. 6 or so months total for as complete a Recovery as I expect to see long term.

Life is good. It mostly went away, in line with other Testimonials in this Thread. You determine your long term improvement.

Life don't stink if we don't Drink!