Notices

It's 5:00 somewhere / Not Good

Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's 5:00 somewhere / Not Good

Hello SR:

I have 4 days under my belt and my first sober weekend in 14 years behind me.

I just want to be honest that 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm is what I call the "witching hour" for me. it's 4:31 pm right now.

I am getting those feelings that I am going to drink. I wish I were stronger, but honestly I am not.

I keep telling myself I am not going to drink tonight but my mind says differently.

I say all that to say this. I have been on SR, literally since last Friday morning till now and the support I have received in that time frame (via live posts and messages) has been / was paramount in assisting me to keep sober. The family is out with friends today and I have no plan in place for this evening.

I will take all encouraging, tough love or any other type of posts to assist me. SR and its members are my only support. I really need you all today. Thanks for listening
Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They are only thoughts, there are no inevitabilities in this, thoughts are not actions, they are only thoughts!!

What's the plan for the evening? execute your plan and you will remain Sober, sitting around with your thoughts is not a good idea, you need a new plan for your evenings, new activities!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Charlie,

You're in the Midwest which means there's either a Golden Corral or Pizza Ranch nearby.

Go, and eat, and eat until you're so piggishly full that the thought of a drink makes you want to barf.

At Day 4, I found food was my biggest weapon to use against my AV. When you're pukingly full, who has room for a drink.

Plus us drinkers are great in substituting booze for meals.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I suggest you think about not drinking instead of drinking. Usually these desire moments are of short duration. Think of anything non drinking like swimming on the great reef or how to wrestle an alligator from start to finish or sky diving, anything. It works if we let it.

BE WELL
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to the hardships of certain time frames!!!

I've hidden in my bed - id like to go for a walk, fresh air, empty my mind, but I daren't go anywhere until all of the shops and pubs have closed.

Wishing you every ounce of strength
Old 08-18-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there,

I keep this vague list in my head of places to go when I feel really tempted. Maybe try and think of things to do/ places to go where you wouldn't even think of drinking. I know that's hard. Mine included places like church, the local library, certain friends who I'd never drink around and yes! tucked up in bed with an easy book. Take care and I hope the next few hours get easier.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine is around 5:00 as well. I tell myself to GET HOME no matter what. If I can make it home and immediately get in comfy clothes that usually fixes it. Other times I play the Puddle of Mudd song called "Already Gone". (The song is about addiction). There's a line in the song: "You're always playing the victim, you really know you're addicted." For some reason it reminds me of all the times I blamed other people for my relapses, and immediately reminds me of reasons I quit.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the support. You have no idea what little phrases / and writings from others really help out in the time of need.

You are right Purple. Thoughts are not actions. I am treating them like they are. And they are that...just thoughts. That really helps.

Thanks Sparky and IOAA for the supports and ideas.

Sarah, I commented on your post earlier. It appears we are struggling with the same issue. Its nice to know that I'm not alone. I know I am not, but its still nice to hear / read it. It helps immensely.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Have you looked into AVRT and or the Rational Recovery wesite? I cheked out that site my first day here, there is a free crash course on that page, really helped me with urges/cravings/feelings of weakness , couldn't hurt.

Great idea to post here and get it out there that you need some support and most willing audience around right here.

You got this , don't let the other you(AV) talk you out of it. Thoughts are not action, thoughts can be dismissed .

The first week is brutal , but to get through it, you have to get through it.

On the more practical side , the Golden Corral eat to busting thing has a ring to it!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Justin, Andy and dwtbd.

You all have no idea how ALL of your posts are really helping me today. Thank you
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My problem time is usually 5-6:30 so I know what you mean. Sometimes I also wonder if it just that old habits die hard. I know I am an alcoholic and can't drink but at that time I really DO have to find something else to do to get through. Hang in there. This craving will pass.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
learning to live

Play the tape through...also I always worry when I will put it back down when I have these thoughts. Almost every relapse I had turned right back into obsessiveness within one drink that usually lasted months but occasionally years relapsing. Ugh!

Its not worth it, Charlie. 4 days is AWESOME!! Keep it up!!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One thing for sure is this: If you are not where the booze is you can't drink it.
Hopefully your space was cleaned out. And just don't even think about going somewhere where you can get it. Get it?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Buggirl, every time I see your avatar I think someone is flipping me off. It's probably just my evil mind.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

@LBrain- Ha :=] Me too, I keep thinking "What did I do to p*** off Darth Vader so much?"
Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
Charlie,

You're in the Midwest which means there's either a Golden Corral or Pizza Ranch nearby.

Go, and eat, and eat until you're so piggishly full that the thought of a drink makes you want to barf.

At Day 4, I found food was my biggest weapon to use against my AV. When you're pukingly full, who has room for a drink.

Plus us drinkers are great in substituting booze for meals.

I'll second everything Sparky said... I still eat as early as I can in the evening. Totally helps me with the cravings; that and sweets.

Congratulations on day 4 and making it through the weekend!!

Tomorrow is day 5, hang in there. It does get easier.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AA has a chapter in the big book entitled: Into action. Someone once said it is called "Into Action" and not "Into thinking".
That really struck a cord with me in early recovery, because I did my darnedest to think myself sober. I hoped that if I just thought hard enough or came up with enough great reasons not to drink, I wouldn't drink.

But, "into thinking" didn't help me as much as "into action". If you feel triggered, I would suggest activities that not only help you get out of your house, but out of your head. Get active with something and get your brain focused on something completely new. It can be anything, a long as it is an activity that will allow you to focus your brain on something intense enough that drinking won't find a place in the thought process.
Mind control? Oh, yeah.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nighttime is tough for me. The later it gets, the tougher it gets. I was almost exclusively a late-night, closet drunk, after m y wife would go to bed, so my 'tough time' is after 11pm, for sure.

Happy-hour-:30? Best time of the day to go for a walk. Take the dog out! Don't got a dog? Go get a dog! Then... take it out!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks SR. I read and re-read your posts. My plan is in place for the night. And yes hobbers I have a Dog. Guess what I am about to do? Take a walk.

I was on on shaky ground till now. Thanks to everyone for posting. It has helped beyond measure. SR is truly a support system someone can count on. Thank you all.