Notices

Ativan in recovery

Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ativan in recovery

Hi, I've been sober for 2 years and have horrible anxiety. I had numerous alcohol withdrawal related seizures and am still taking keppra 2 years later and working on seeing a neurologist to try to get off of it. Yesterday I had a horrible panic attack and was given .5 MG of ativan in the ER. I am terrified that this is going to cause a seizure because of the similar effects as alcohol. I do not want to take it ever again because I have spend the last 24 hours worrying about my sobriety and if anything will happen to me because of the ativan. Does anyone have a similar story? Any advice other than the obvious that I should not have taken it?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you call the ER to ask this question? I'm so sorry you are feeling anxious about this. Wish I had some expert advice but I don't know much about ativan. I know I was put on it once a few years ago for a day or two (can't recall how long) when I was withdrawing from alcohol to help manage the symptoms, though. That's it. It didn't make me wanna drink, though.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I already got the answers from the doctor...sort of.... Probably not but since they don't know my whole history they don't know the answer. I hate doctors! It definitely did not make me want to drink and I have actually become more terrified of alcohol then I could ever imagine since I've been sober. It's amazing how much you will put yourself through before you stop and I feel like somehow I went from drinking 1 liter a day to being afraid of everything! I have done a lot of research on alcoholic seizures but was just hoping to get some insight from someone who has been there rather than a doctor.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They use ativan for alcohol withdrawal in the ER to help with the anxiety. I cannot imagine that it is going to hurt you. But then, I didn't have seizures, so don't really know that part.

YES!!! I so agree with the being afraid of alcohol. It doesn't really both me much until I see someone starting to change before my eyes or see someone ordering a 4th. Alcohol is a dangerous drug. I wish it wasn't glorified so much.