Itchy Skin

Old 08-17-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Itchy Skin

Has anyone come across their As having itchy skin? My (ex)ABF has had this thing for the past year where he constantly scratches his side overnight, to the extent that it wakes me up. He doesn't even know he's doing it. I've said to him about it and he claims it's to do with my cats but he's also done it when I've stayed at his where my cats have never been! Has anyone else come across this?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Flossy71 View Post
...he claims it's to do with my cats but he's also done it when I've stayed at his where my cats have never been!....
Your cats may have never been to his place, but they've been with you, and you with them, and where you go.....they go too.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-17-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hahaha, that is very true NoelleR! But he's told me of one guy in AA who had itchy skin when his liver was failing so I wondered if it was related to that.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Itchy, dry skin is a very common symptom of liver disease.
Also, is common in some other conditions.
A trip to the family doctor and a blood test can determine this very quickly.

dandylion
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dandylion - he had problems with gallstones over xmas/new year time. He did have a liver test towards the end of last year when this all started up - his first reading was high, two weeks later it was normal. I was baffled given this was during a period of time where he had apparently not been drinking, although I since found out he'd been drinking when I wasn't around.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had this same experience with my AH also to the point of waking me up. I had no idea it could be associated with liver failure. AH won't go to the Dr and now we have no insurance anyway.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Itching is a symptom of cirrhosis, but it could be a lot of other things too. He should go see a Dr. to be sure. Of course, us As are not real good about seeking medical help.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My exAH did this scratching thing one night that shook the whole bed- he had no recollection, he was furiously scratching around his groin area. When I told him about it, he says that it happens sometimes, but it was almost violent in my opinion...I hope, for his sake, that it is not something more than the itches...