Notices

Took another step and got the door shut in my face

Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took another step and got the door shut in my face

So, now I am possibly jobless might have a job, don't really know. I posted about mental issues last night and today actually this afternoon I decided to ask for help. When I asked my folks ( I love them dearly) it was basically hey you are crazy, you don't want to be sober, we might help, but probably not and then after reasserting myself and asking for legit help with a plan I got hung up on.

Ok so this hurts, this hurts really bad,I can't even define what I am feeling right now. Struggling to contain my emotions and just move forward, but being honest with some my folks, people I care about dearly, blew up in my face.

I mean, Monday still going to go to the mental hospital, they might commit me, might not, not concerned about that. Wife is behind 1000 percent, and I have many friend and SR behind me, but this is blow...... All I want to do is cuss and wonder what the hell they think I am doing? However, I know I've disappointed, called them drunk and high before, lied to them and been an all around pain, but I thought they would rejoice this time and help. Well that isn't realty this time, I cried wolf too many times.

Stunned an disappointed, but still have hope, playing games with the daughter and talking with the wife, Happy as I can be, but what a blow tonight! Sheesh, why the hell did I ever get into this situation. Staying sober though, and still hopeful for the future

Stay safe and Sober friends TDG
Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

as an aside I know I am not my parents and I have done them wrong many times, but always thought I would recieve support there. Not this time, time to grow up and just get on, but a huge blow to my ego, confidence and what I thought I knew
Old 08-15-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us, for whatever reason, don;t have family support.

You're lucky in that you're an adult, you can make your own decisions and you have the support of your wife behind you. (and us)

I know your parents reaction must be disappointing but don't let that deter you from anything you know you have to do TDG

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-15-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think in the end, we are the only ones who we can rely on with sobriety. I have also pushed away people with previous attempts and now im doing it for myself on my own (with SR and weekly meetings) and it seems better this way. No one in my real life even knows what day im on! But I do

Stay in the TDG, we can do it and take control of our lives!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like you said, you cried wolf a few times already. It is hard for people who haven't walked in our shoes to understand. They will come around when they see you doing what you are doing. Pray for them. And keep on posting here. You've always got us at SR.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hugs TDG! It's intriguing how even us grown ups, head of our own families, we still expected our parents support, right? I'm the same way, anything wrong instill run to my moms advice or shoulder.

I also suffer from a mental illness. Just diagnosed as Bipolar II a month ago. After being treated for depression by my GP with no improvements. She finally referred me to a psych and I am now on the right medication. I already feel considerably better.

Go for it my friend! Get well! You have your wife watching your back and that is the most important as she can monitor you much closer.

Crossing fingers and toes for you!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel for you TDG!! SR is in your corner!!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there, TDG. Getting free of alcohol was a huge step. But now all of your other issues are out in the open. You're very wise to ask for help! Let a doctor work with you. As bad as things feel now it's a bump in the road. If this little hiccup lets you get to a good place it will be worth it a thousand times over.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey TDG ,
My mum has voices . The meds do help her and she's about 200 days sober now and i think thats helping the medications to work .
I'm sorry about your parents reaction but maybe with time things will be different …

My mum despite her illnesses is still a great mother to me and my brother . So i don't see why you can't be a great husband , a great sober role model for others , maybe a great father if one day that might happen...

Stay strong , get the help you need ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It does come as a blow when we realize that we have worn out the patience of some that we love. I'll never forget the look on the face of my wife of 26 years when she finally gave up hoping that i would get better.
I never want to see that look of shame and regret in the face of a loved one again.
Nor do i want that sense on abandonment i felt in hospitals and rehabs when my parents simply failed to contact me and ask how i was.
They had simply given up hope.
Today my wife is my ex wife, and my parents visit but remain cautious.
Only i know that it's over and that they can relax a bit with my sobriety.
Time will be the healer or it won't.
But today is another day when i can make amends and be my best.
G
Old 08-16-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As bad as things feel now it's a bump in the road. If this little hiccup lets you get to a good place it will be worth it a thousand times over.
This is so true. You are making good choices and I adore that your wife has your back. My hubby was like that.