Notices

Rough day

Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough day

Hi everyone. I don't post too often, but I'm having a rough day. I pulled a muscle during my morning workout, leaving me with some nagging neck pain. Work became complicated today, when I was mentally prepared for an easy day. I feel like my AV has since been blowing every little thing out of proportion in order to fabricate a reason to have a drink.

As an added challenge, my girlfriend is away for the first time since I've committed to sobriety. Since she recognized my problem long ago (I could tell, though we never discussed it), I would always have a good binge when she was away. With nobody here to judge me, I always felt that it was a perfect time to hit the bottle hard.

All of these trigger events/scenarios are weighing on me. I won't drink, but I just feel unsatisfied with everything today and the AV is telling me that one thing will sooth my nerves...and only one thing.

Could use some positive energy from my SR people.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go for a walk!
Call up a friend.

Play video games?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lostinthetrees

I think it's perfectly natural and normal to have a down, or even a bad, day - everyone has them

As long as we stay sober, we'll get through it and good days will come again.

When I was drinking I let bad days turn into bad weeks or even months...in that context, bad days are not so bad

Hope tomorrow is better

D
Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

meeting tonight in the chat room
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayer Always Helps Me, Some Nice Deep Stretching with Breathing, a nice bath I normally don't take them myself, also because I have a small bath but I have made the effort when I too pulled a muscle or two. Ice packs or frozen meat in towel try anything to get your mind away from the other HELL. Hang In There.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

17 days sober and today was the first time my AV really kicked in and said feed me.

Rough week here too, one of my kids totaled 1 of our 2 cars, fortunately no injuries. Waiting for surgery on my back for a herniated disk. Surgery postponed last Monday while I was in pre-op, have to wait 2 more weeks.

My usual remedy to "deal" with this would have been half a bottle of gin or a couple bottles of wine.

Found SR last week and it has been extremely helpful. YoungTom nails it in his post above.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, alcohol won't fix things, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me. Day is winding down... No drinks, but some Chinese food (and ice cream). Fiddled around trying to learn linux for a while. That is certainly enough to keep one occupied! Still, ready for this day to be over. Tomorrow is a fresh start!

Happy, sober Friday to all.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey - good work getting through a rough day. You'll feel great tomorrow!