Notices

How to detox my liver?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to detox my liver?

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong spot and I'm not looking for any medical advice, so forgive me if I'm wrong for posting this. I'm just looking for good, simple, tried-and-true ways to detox my liver. I'm 4 days sober today. I've been drinking Snapple peach tea and been working on eating slowly to regain my appetite. I picked up some Milk Thistle (1000 mg) capsules to start taking in a few days. My husband said to give it a few days before taking them because my body needs food and metabolism to work better. Any tips? Oh and I choose not to drink today!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi redheadjen

Honestly the best thing to do is see your Dr. Everyone's different and what may have worked for someone else may not work, or may not be suitable for you.

There are so many factors to consider - your general health, any other medication you're on, the state of your liver...you're far better off getting a professional opinion.

D
Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The best thing you can do ( after seeing your dr ) is to not drink alcohol. Your liver's function is basically detoxing your body anyway.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

stay off the artificial stuff including sweetners. the peach Snapple is fine, but you are better off making a plain tea (herbal peach is available in bags) and sweeten with stevia or Nectresse, or a bit of honey.

water with a splash or fresh fruit juice, whole fruits, a clear broth with some cooked carrots and baby spinach...avoid the chemical fakie stuff and cold cuts.
small meals and stay hydrated, and of course no booze.

make an appointment with your doctor and be honest, they will most likely order tests and this can be your starting point.
congrats on your 4 days! we have all been there too.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely talk to your Dr, but like Fandy said whole foods & juices are probably your best bet. Lemons are particularly helpful to the liver so even just increasing the amount of fresh lemon in your diet will help. I wouldn't jump into doing too much, too fast, but just adding it to your tea or water daily can be highly beneficial.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not a medical professional, but I can say with certainty that one way to detox the liver is to not drink alcohol. Cut the booze and your liver will sort itself out soon enough.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on 4 days.

As other's have said, cut out the booze, drink plenty of non alcoholic fluids and see your doctor if you have concerns.

Glad you are with us.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The liver is a fantastic piece of kit!!

A Dr can give you the facts on how much it has been affected by alcohol, but time can potentially reverse things!!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like the others have said, don't ever drink again and I'm positive that your liver will be just fine. That's my plan.