Son is doing well , not me

Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son is doing well , not me

I need some advice. My son is 100 days sober and clean. Working at a job he got himself and truely enjoys it. He lives about 1 1/2 hours from us. Left sober living because of drama(drinking in the house). He talked with his addiction councelor, sponsor, us(his parents) about advice before moving.He stays in communication with us regularly. Is renting a room and doing well. so move forward to today,I needed to straighten his room before company comes, and I am just angry and crying. I can't figure it out. I am so thankful he is doing well and loving life. I am not sure if it is still grief because he is not home. Which we are in agreement with how he is doing cause it is by his choice how he is able to stay sober. He also understands what he did to us was a train wreck and we have a lot to deal with and for him it was a car wreck in his life, this is how his sponser was able to have him understand what we are going through. He went into rehab February 21 2014. Responded well to counceling and dealing with underlying issues. Any advice for me would I would be grateful
Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you been to Alanon? That a great place for friends and family of alcoholics to learn how to deal with alcoholism and recovery in a loved one. Some of the people in my meeting have said that early sobriety is really hard on everyone, even worse than the drinking sometimes.
That's great that your son is doing the work on his recovery. 100 days is a real achievement. Good for him.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Daisy3264.......how old is your son?

dandylion
Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He is 22.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OH, daisy, I really empathize with you. This is as much of a transition for you as for him....probably more!!!!!!!! I can remember walking through the house and crying. Yes, I do believe this is mostly you working through your grief. Go ahead and cry...feel the feelings and then let them go. You will get through this in time, I believe.
All us mothers go through this........and, it sucks......

dandylion