Notices

Recipe for failure ?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recipe for failure ?

Well, I'm wrapping up day 4 without a drink. I'm sitting here looking at a long list of things I'd like to eliminate from my life right now (drinking, smoking, etc.) and things I would like to implement into my life (gym consistently, eating healthy, etc.) and the list is somewhat long. Would it perhaps be detrimental to my success if I attempt to make all of these changes within a very short amount of time (immediately)? Maybe I'll fail at some, maybe at all? Or does it just really depend on the person? Obviously, drinking is number one on my list but I've been known to relapse in other areas after I fail in one aspect of improvement, and it all comes spiraling downward. However, it is vise versa and if I clean up one act I'm usually pretty good at improving other areas of my life. Obviously, the changes have never been permanent tho. What are some of your experiences for those who have tried to improve many areas all at once? Or do many of you try to deal with one addiction at a time?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sober,

I had to make my sobriety from alcohol my only focus at the time. I was physically so agitated and my mind was all over the place. I felt like I would lose it sometimes and all I could do to keep myself sane (especially during first two weeks) was to indulge myself with something like a milkshake, licorice, laziness on the couch, anything. I allowed myself any and everything I wanted as long as I did not drink.

I am keeping my list of changes for the near future. I am on day 48 and I still feel too fragile to add any extra stress to my life. I vote for focusing on the sobriety for now.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Sober,

I had to make my sobriety from alcohol my only focus at the time. I was physically so agitated and my mind was all over the place. I felt like I would lose it sometimes and all I could do to keep myself sane (especially during first two weeks) was to indulge myself with something like a milkshake, licorice, laziness on the couch, anything. I allowed myself any and everything I wanted as long as I did not drink.

I am keeping my list of changes for the near future. I am on day 48 and I still feel too fragile to add any extra stress to my life. I vote for focusing on the sobriety for now.
Thanks for your input. In response to you, however, do you think that perhaps making other changes would be positive and take your mind off the alcohol? You use the words "extra stress" but these modifications could make things less stressful for you and possibly less fragile? Just an opinion.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to make sobriety my number one priority too...that was a real hard job for me...once I had that down I looked at other stuff

D
Old 08-14-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, I am refocusing my energies on something I enjoy. I am being kind to myself. Focus on one thing you enjoy and at times you think about your sobriety, replace it with that activity. I wouldn't overcomplicate it with adding so many new things - just focus on one or maybe two things you want to do to make a positive change and don't think about that as a chore. If you do, stick to just one thing - and make it a fun thing so it doesn't feel like 'work' or that you have to perform. Make it something you enjoy. t don't know - it is working for me Day 8 and counting...
Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
Thanks for your input. In response to you, however, do you think that perhaps making other changes would be positive and take your mind off the alcohol? You use the words "extra stress" but these modifications could make things less stressful for you and possibly less fragile? Just an opinion.
Sober,

That's a good question. Honestly, and it may sound silly, the thought of drastically changing my diet (to a more healthy one) or committing to going to gym everyday would bring me a little stress. Your question really has me thinking. I am very busy with grad school right now so that is definitely keeping my busy! Actually, your post is helping me to think about starting to take steps to be more productive and healthy. I have some sobriety under my belt so maybe it's time to stop hiding from the booze in large chocolate milkshakes, regular Cocacola, and long naps on the couch.

Perhaps I can think of new healthy habits in the same "one day at a time" way. Today I will go to the gym. Tomorrow? Who knows. LOL!

If somebody can quit smoking, drinking, etc. and start eating healthy, working out, organizing stuff, then that is awesome!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At the start I focused primarily on being Sober, but a few lifestyle changes helped me to achieve it and make it through the early days, such as healthy eating and more exercise!!

Protect your Sobriety at all costs!!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

From my experience, there is usually better success with making one life change at a time. Master that one change first and then add a new one. Keep it slow and simple and let time work its magic.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is not a race, it is a journey.

The main focus should be sobriety, always. Anything you put in front of that, will be the second thing you lose, with sobriety being the first!

Recovery is sipped, not gulped. I understand wanting to make positive changes but sobriety is the biggest positive change you can make. The rest follows suit.

If we clog our minds up with to many goals, several of them eventually be discarded and we become discontent. We blame sobriety for the reason we are not getting what we want or meeting the goals we have set for ourselves.

Expectations of ones self can and will be set to high. Lower the bar and then crawl under it. Sober first, the rest will follow but be patient. We are not used to taking time, we want instant gratification, like when I drank. I wanted it now.

Sobriety, peace and serenity can take time and work but they are worth it. Don't pick up to many things along the path, we can only carry so much.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think it is commendable, if not vital, to implement positive, healthy components into your life--if they support your recovery. For instance, I wouldn't add "quitting smoking" as goal. But you can certainly add recovery related goals, such as reading addiction and recovery-related material, set times for logging on to SR for support, integrating stress reduction and other coping skills into one's routine.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

It's probably different for each person. I made my changes in about a 90 day period, so it is not black-or-white. Being mindful of my thoughts and behaviors in the moment really helped me to stay on track.

My list was similar to yours.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I think it is commendable, if not vital, to implement positive, healthy components into your life--if they support your recovery. For instance, I wouldn't add "quitting smoking" as goal. But you can certainly add recovery related goals, such as reading addiction and recovery-related material, set times for logging on to SR for support, integrating stress reduction and other coping skills into one's routine.
That's what I'm thinking about the health components and integrating the gym and eating right regularly while having cheat days to eat whatever and take a day off the gym to maintain some sanity. As far as the smoking goes, I don't want to add right away because I feel like I need something bad to fall back on while I get back into the habit of not drinking again. On the other hand, I do want to quit smoking almost as bad as drinking. I'm tired of having to rely on it, and needing to smoke a cigarette throughout the day. At least when I was drinking it was mostly here and there with occasional binges rather than everyday, all day.