Notices

Timing cravings

Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Timing cravings

Does anyone else do this? I have found it to be helpful. I average about 5-7 minutes of real, tough cravings to fight. It has proven to be a soothing way to get through it. I know that an end will come. I usually come on here and read, sometimes watching the clock, to know that the end is near. I think to myself "this is going to pass, just ride through it until you are safe on the other side" and then end does come. Might be worth a try for anyone struggling. Try to start timing yours and after taking an average, you can start to use those time frames to know when it is likely to be over. Like a crappy day at work, you think "ahhhhh, 45 minutes and I'm outta here!"
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mer,

Knowing that cravings are temporary and therefore riding it out rather than panicking is important. Cravings DO subside over time, they become less and less frequent, and ultimately shift into something more like a fleeting thought. Every once in a very long while I will be happily doing something and *poof* my brain will think "a glass of wine sure would be nice right now" or something similar. My first sponsor taught me to understand that my feelings are real, but they are not reality. Cravings are like that too.

This is a perspective that is useful far beyond early sobriety. Crappy days at work are temporary, arguments are temporary, cravings are temporary - but a single drink can have permanent, even fatal, consequences.

Great post!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mera:

I can relate to the craving issues. I have specific cravings on Monday's, Wednesday's and Saturday's more than the other days of the week.

I know if I can just make it to 7:00 PM on Monday's and Wednesday's I have them beat (get off work at 5:00 pm) so I have a two hour window to deal with.

On Saturday's I will struggle all day till the 7:00 pm time frame. I am not for sure why it is the way it is, but it is. I think its because I have always been an early drinker when time allows.

I just don't start drinking later on in the evening as I know it will be the early am hours before I get my fill.

At these times I ensure I am doing something. Yard work, family time, reading SR (great help for me.)

For some reason if I can just get to the 7:00 PM time frame I seem to be okay. I am sure its psychological, but I have not figured out how to overcome it.

And yes, when 7:00 PM comes, It is like a huge burden off my shoulders. I have taught myself if I can just make to this time, I have made it through another day sober.