Notices

About time I introduced myself...

Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool About time I introduced myself...

I've been reading this forum for some months now, and finally gave up the grog a month ago. I'm 54 and after some 40 years of boozing it feels damm good to put it behind me.

I've been trying to cut down for what feels like 20 years, but the reality is my wine consumption has been gradually creeping up, and all my attempts at moderation have failed. I'd never really considered myself an alcoholic, but reading this forum, and some of the behaviours described made it clear to me that I was never going to change through moderation. The pivotal event was after a night out partying with family and friends, falling down the stairs and crashing into the lounge room with a glass of water in each hand(unusually!), in the middle of my 14/21 yo daughters, their friends and my wife. And barely remembering it in the morning. Not a good look. So after the next days recriminations and guilt, I said I would give it away. And I have.

Once I made that decision, it really hasn't been too hard. I've survived going drinking with work mates and enduring the expected barrage of abuse. A 2 week trip to Europe to see parents and go kitesurfing with mates in the canaries. I found not having a glass of wine on the plane a particular challenge.

I'm feeling very very good, fit and clear headed and relieved. This forum has been really helpful in some of the concepts. Eg recognizing the alcoholic voice. I had trouble with that on the plane,( just 1 glass and nobody will know...) but now I just tell the AV to F OFF!

I'm finding a bottle of sparkling water is perfect for those times I used to drink, eg sundowner, parties, planes et all.
I'm sure I have many challenges to come, but so far so very good. Just love the way I sleep, and wake up, head clear, guilt free, no beating myself up, or piecing together the previous evening.

Thankyou to this forum for being here.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave!

It's nice to meet you. I also stopped about a month after nearly a decade of heavy, daily drinking. It does feel good to put it behind us, doesn't it? We just get to a point where we honestly don't feel like torturing ourselves anymore. It sounds like that took some strength on the place. I have found traveling to be by far the most difficult times to stay away from the drink.

I can relate to the experiences trying to moderate. I tried a few times but it wasn't enjoyable anyways. Two or three glasses of wine did absolutely nothing for me so why bother? I would have broken every rule or limit I set for myself anyways.

I also found that once I made the decision to stop it hasn't been that hard really. It's true what they say that we won't stop until we are ready. I was ready and it sounds like you were too! Great job on the month of sobriety!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dave

D
Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave. Glad you've joined us.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave. Glad it's been really positive for you!

Good to see you around.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave. New here also. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave! This is a great place for support.

I agree with Melinda, it sounds like you were just ready to stop. I feel that way too. Don't get me wrong, I won't get complacent, but I can see that alcohol was bringing nothing good to my life.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome aboard Dave! Love the name. You a surfer?

Congrats on a month and thanks for posting.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done dave.

Best of luck, glad you found us at SR
Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dave!!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes Freeowl, I do surf, but am a mad keen kitesurfer primarily. We have some exceptional wind and waves here in west oz, love it.

Melinda, I think you are right, you need to be mentally ready to commit to stop, then it's not such a torture as you just want the new experience.