Notices

Question about Rosacea

Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Question about Rosacea

Hey there,

Just joined this site today. After being a chronic binge drinker for 13 years, I was diagnosed with rosacea two weeks ago. I've noticed a lot of people on here have mentioned this and just needed some clarity.

My Rosacea affects me due to heat (the sun, hot showers, drinking alcohol, etc.), otherwise, if I can somehow avoid these triggers my face won't flush. Other people seem to describe their rosacea as a permanent red face from drinking, which is kind of different.

I was wondering if anybody had developed my type of rosacea and if theirs ever went away through sobriety? I don't really tick any of the boxes to develop rosacea, and despite what doctors say, I'm convinced mine is from drinking. The last 2 weeks have drastically altered my life and I'd like to think this will fade in time. At least it will keep me sober though. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome TwoXTimes

never had it - but I wanted to welcome you to SR anyway

D
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I was diagnosed at one of the heights of my drinking career. It will ramp up when I drink and settles down significantly when I'm sober.

I was also prescribed Finacea gel, and that for me was a game changer. My skin in my twenties wasn't as bright and healthy looking as it is now.

If you are concerned, see a dermatologist. It's a rather quick fix , especially if you are staying away from alcohol .

And while your at it, get your moles checked too !
Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi there twoxtimes,

I had acne rosacea on my face , real bad sore and itchy especially after lots of booze and coffee . It took a year or so to go after giving up drinking and now my face is clear .

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwoXTimes View Post
Hey there,

Just joined this site today. After being a chronic binge drinker for 13 years, I was diagnosed with rosacea two weeks ago. I've noticed a lot of people on here have mentioned this and just needed some clarity.

My Rosacea affects me due to heat (the sun, hot showers, drinking alcohol, etc.), otherwise, if I can somehow avoid these triggers my face won't flush. Other people seem to describe their rosacea as a permanent red face from drinking, which is kind of different.

I was wondering if anybody had developed my type of rosacea and if theirs ever went away through sobriety? I don't really tick any of the boxes to develop rosacea, and despite what doctors say, I'm convinced mine is from drinking. The last 2 weeks have drastically altered my life and I'd like to think this will fade in time. At least it will keep me sober though. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hello Twotimes

Yes I had my first outbreak after a major binge which turned in to cystic acne!! I still have some marks left from it which I'm treating with Manuka honey... I searched high & low on the net & the best thing I came across was a cream called Dermalex Rosacea & Couperose which eases the redness but to get rid of it quick I take L-Lysine which is an amino acid & helps settle the gut which is where Rosacea stems from.. After taking this within 3 days the Rosacea had gone.. Obviously if you have concerns contact your Doc or dermatoligist. hope this helps..
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had this for years and although I am a health professional I did not equate it to drinking. I would get it across my nose and if it was really bad, on my eyelids as well. I haven't had alcohol for 9 months and my rosacea has gone. Interestingly, I bought a facial scrub and after using it my rosacea reappeared. On inspecting the ingredients it was full of alcohol. Coffee, sugar and perfumed soap us also a trigger but no where near to the extent that alcohol was.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely look into your suggestions. Can't believe how full on it is! One day I was ok, the next a couple minutes of sun or a shower make me look sunburnt for hours.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

btw, I did see a dermatologist, it is Rosacea. He just made me feel a bit helpless with it. He told me to avoid the sun and warm showers like that's easy to do. I feel like a vampire overnight. I havn't drank for 2 weeks, yet no improvement. I am also impatient lol.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You could also try washing your face with warm water & Epsom Salts this will help draw out the toxins & ease it..
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is an antibiotic for rosacea which can be taken in low dosage with good effect. I suffered in my early 40's before I even started drinking. In essence, stay away from the alcohol and be patient cos it don't go away overnight but will improve with good care and natural skin products. Also, be wary of spicy food. Best wishes, Jude
Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've heard about those salts, I'll give them a go. I guess I have to be patient. I'll have to find a good sunscreen because one literal minute makes me flush bad. I had a shower at 1.30. It's 6.30 now and I'm still bright red. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome.

My face was permanently red, red, red when drinking. Middle of winter and people always thought I was sun burnt all of the time.

Never diagnosed, but also avoided the doctor at any and all cost while drinking. Too afraid of what they would find a rong with me.

My b red face has deminished with sober time.. now any redness in my complexion is due to summer sun.

Best of luck
Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My rosacea was definitely worse in the years that I drank--even before i was a full-blown alcoholic. My face and chest would flush bigtime--but the worst symptom by far was that my eyes after one drink would feel as though there was sand in them!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Quit drinking, stay quit and you will be amazed how many things fix themselves in a year
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well it's definitely a reason to stay sober. People with the permanent red face seem to have good results with long term sobriety. I've yet to see anyone who flares up from the sun and showers reverse their rosacea though. Every morning I wake up my face is completely normal. Any sun exposure and I'm flushed for the day. I'm starting to think my rosacea isn't alcohol induced, which means it won't fade in time. Time will tell I guess...
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum!!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Welcome.

My face was permanently red, red, red when drinking. Middle of winter and people always thought I was sun burnt all of the time.
This was me too. If I heard it once I heard it 10000 times "oh, you got some sun", I wanted to punch people in their smooth cream like faces! LOL

At almost 17 months my complexion is better but not the greatest. I think it may be due to sun damage from my twenties. I lived in the sun and rarely wore sun screen. I am sort of used to it now.

It is not bright red like it used to be though, more blotchy now. I was going to go to a dermatologist but just have not made the time to go. It was not high on my things to get done list..LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Ask your doctor for this: Topical metronidazole. It's a light antibiotic cream.

My rosacea diminished significantly after I quit drinking. \
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok, thanks. I'll ask for that. He prescribed me tablets called Minocycline hydrochloride. I didn't get them because I was just diagnosed and wanted to see if stopping drinking helped. I think I'd rather a cream too.