Notices

Helping others quit

Old 08-13-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helping others quit

A co-worker wrecked his car last night while driving home drunk. Luckily the other person was also drunk and they worked it out between the two of them.

He made a few comments that he needs to quit drinking.
His story and the way he was feeling reminded me a lot of myself and the numerous accidents and events that led up to my decision to quit(multiple times, but now I'm almost up to a month sober, which has been the longest I've been dry in my adult life if I'm remembering correctly)...anyways knowing what he is likely going through, I can't help but feel sorry for him.

I mentioned that I made the decision to quit drinking almost a month ago and it has worked out for the better.
He told me he has tried to quit, but he can't.

I decided not to get too personal since he is just one of many co-workers, but at the same time I want to help him. I feel like it would also strengthen my own sobriety.

Any advice/ similar situations any of you have had?
Perhaps I should let this go and focus on my own early sobriety.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Coming on here and encouraging others has helped me. Having people in physical life to be responsible to has certainly helped me. People are always getting exercise partners and weight loss partners at work, why not a sobriety partner?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's a dicey situation.... you can extend an offer "hey, I'm going to a meeting tonight, why don't you join me...".

Or throw it out there "Listen, if you ever want someone to talk with about how to break out of this cycle... I'm here for you".

But I think you need to kind of let people come to you.... attraction, not promotion.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So far the furthest I got with him was admitting that he has reached some level of denial.

I told him he needs to start doing other things to keep himself busy. He told me the problem is late at night.(wasn't able to offer much advise because my problem was I would start immediately after work)
When i told him to try non alcoholic beer because it worked for me, he said it gives him a headache.
I suggested that perhaps it's the lack of alcohol that's causing the headache and not the NA beer if he is used to drinking every night.

He laughed and said that he only drinks on weekends.

I told him that couldn't be true because yesterday was a weekday and he got so drunk that he wrecked his car. He agreed, but I get the feeling he may not be ready to admit how serious his problem really is. Either way it makes me feel better to know I tried.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep, that's all you can do. You've put it out there.

Maybe he'll take note of you and how you live your life and the door is open now..... if he wants to walk through it.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Honestly, I wouldn't open up that much to him yet. If he isn't ready to quit, and you don't have a very close relationship with him, the risks of having a co-worker know about your situation are far greater than the help he is not yet ready to recieve. You are making phenominal strides in your life, but if it was leaked to your boss that you have an issue with alcohol, do you think your bosses perception of you would change, and how?

Just too much to risk at the workplace, but that's just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good point blondie. My boss has a pretty good idea, but that doesn't mean I need to go broadcasting it to the rest of the company.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. The number one determent to getting sober is denial. Until we are ready to be honest with ourselves about our drinking recovery is only a glimpse for those who need it.

BE WELL
Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As others said, just offer him help if he ever wants to talk.

I would leave this far from the office.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kindly tell him if he needs help in the future when he is ready to commit that you will offer as much encouragement as he will accept.

Good for you on your own recovery!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think it was wrong to let him know you quit a month ago and how much better your life is now. I think letting him know where to find help and answering questions related to that should be the extent of what you should offer.
Not being critical (I know you mean well), but your trying to push him to admit he is in denial is quite a ways from leading by example. It's also potentially dangerous to become involved in other peoples recoveries, especially in early recovery as you are. It's important to keep the focus on your own program.

BTW, good job on 1-month sober