Notices

Back again and at Day 6

Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again and at Day 6

Been here before - but hoping its the last time. The most terrible part? I just cannot sleep. Up ALL hours and times.

I'm not sure if its nervous energy - or that I am worrying about everything and anything - or the fact that since I quit drinking that I have so much time (that I remember) on my hands because I'm not hung over or tired from the night before.

Caffeine is affecting me more as I can have tea at 5/6pm and be up at all hours. Anyone have similar issues with sleep?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sleep was all over the place for the first few weeks, but it does get better though!!

Hang in there!! You can do this!!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

stop the afternoon tea, drink more water

your sleep will come; your body is just learning how to sleep normally again.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Good Morning Sonrisa12, I've quit drinking several times over the last year or so and each time sleep was impossible. This time my therapist recommended getting out of bed and reading someplace other than the bedroom. Reading helped, but not enough. My Dr. prescribed sleeping pills (non addictive). In my opinion, sleeping pills are not a long term solution and not much of a short term solution. I do sleep, but not well. Alternatives to drinking alcohol are water, the occasional Gatorade and decaf tea after noon or 1 pm. Switching to decaf has made a noticeable difference. Many folks say sleep will come, but it takes time. Not sleeping is horrible. Please explore all options and don't let this challenge threaten your sobriety. Stay strong. Resolv
Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sonrisa
I'm only on my second week, but my first week I was getting 2 maybe 3 hours of not restfull sleep. I used melatonin and it helped a lot...
Nvguy
Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

Lack of sleep is almost always a problem for us in early recovery.

Do you have a plan to do something differently this time?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,

Well, I think I have realized that I really do have triggers that cause me to start drinking again. And since my job is very analytical, I tend to reach for the booze to help me relax my mind and wind down quick. Problem is, it never stops at one, two. It stops when I pass out.

I think I am going to try meditation. And refocus my energies on getting back into shape again. And to not be around the peer pressure to drink, that is a big factor. Issue is that I tend to self isolate that way but I feel I have to right now in order to make this stick.