Notices

Alcohol and Facial Deterioration

Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Alcohol and Facial Deterioration

Did anyone notice facial deterioration associated with long-term alcohol use/abuse?

Or the flip side of the coin-- facial improvement upon quitting?

In my case, I'm on day 38 and I'm getting strong positive comments on my skin and face-- that it's improving and becoming more clear.

To me I look more well-rested too, and just generally healthier. I've also lost like 8 lbs (Actually, I have been getting comments on that too.)

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience!

Not that these are REASONS for quitting, but hey, it's a bonus! Plus IMHO it's not vanity to take pride in respecting one's own natural beauty, caring for it by caring for the body
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes on both. I lost a lot of weight and my skin has improved. I do believe getting more rest in the beginning has a great deal to do with it.

Congrats on your 38 days, that is awesome!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Clementina,

Definitely. For me every time I had a big session I would wake up red-faced and with flaky skin...even a couple of days into abstention the difference is notable. Am looking forward to seeing how much better it will get over months or even years!

And celebrating not having crappy skin or being overweight is *not* vanity! You just know you are looking healthier! Being proud of looking healthy and well and energetic is very different to being vain.

And congrats on 38 days!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny, I just popped into my local store to pick something up. The have a grill and this couple was sitting outside having burgers and beer. (It's 11am but who's noticing, right?)
So this lady was probably in her 50's, it was hard to tell because the first thing you noticed was her face lift-not good. It wasn't helped by the pasty color and bloated face. Even a face lift can't help when you are drinking too much.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the one thing i do notice in an aa room is how fresh people look, even the old timers look years younger than they are.

an old school friend of mine came into aa once, i hardly recognized him he looked like a 70 year old man all his face was covered in wrinkles he looked like a beach when the tide has gone out and it leave them impressions in the sand

no one could belive he was the same age as me and i was about 45 then and he really did look about 70
sadly he is a still out there or might even be dead for all i know, in the meeting he attended he thought it would be a much better idea if we stopped talking in the meetings and he would bring along some of his johnny cash records so we could all listen to the words of them instead of talking.

as a joke i sent him along to the group leader for him to mention his idea to the leader

the look on the group leaders face was a picture as i watched them have a conversation : ) and my friend offered up his good idea

needless to say he just couldn't get it and if he is out there i really hope one day he comes back and is ready to listen.
i think the years would roll off his face if he did like they seem to work for most in aa

i think its because we try to lead a stress free life we let go of things that other people will hang on to etc
Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeap the body is a fantastic machine, given time to heal it can do amazing things!!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

37 days, lost 9 lbs (up from 10), the skin on my face looks a little rosier and plumper, skin is a lot less dry. Still have my wrinkles-dont think that they are going anywhere!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, noticed some of the same positive things myself.

My red face has faded back to much more of a normal tone, lost weight, lowered my blood pressure considerably (off all meds for that), overall just feel a lot better.

Great job on 38 days!!