Notices

not sure where to go.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not sure where to go.

Hi this my first post. Im 31 been drinking since I was 15ish. Became a daily habit probably about 4-5 years ago. This past weekend my father in law (100 days sober) stayed with us. I promised my wife I wouldn't drink and I didn't for 2 days. Was much harder than I ever thought it would be. Yesterday after they left I wanted to continue this "sober streak" that didn't last however, I bought beer with the intention of having a couple. Long story short I went to bed drunk. I don't know how to begin getting sober. I guess im here looking for advice. Do I simply try again tonight? Is it best to taper off? Or set a date? Would really like some input. My wife wants me sober as well but dosent know how to handle this situation. ..
Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would suggest you see your DR. Tell the Dr everything and ask for help getting off. A Dr. can help you through the early part, then the rest is up to you. I have never seen tapering work. The sooner you ask for help, the sooner you will feel better. Welcome to SR. There are a lot of us here to support you.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. My difficulty in quitting was a real eyeopener for me

Originally Posted by allenmc25 View Post
Long story short I went to bed drunk. I don't know how to begin getting sober.
Well, you have a father in law with 100 days. He would be a great person to ask. Begin by accepting that your drinking isn't a "habit" and address it accordingly, as a mental and physical dependence.

You might talk your doctor, be honest about your intake and desire to quit see if there's anything they can provide to make the withdrawals easier.

SR is a great resource and provide a lot of support. But you might consider face-to-face support as sobriety is tough for a lot of us to do alone, especially if our drinking is the result of alcoholism.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Good Morning Allenmc25. I started with my organization's employee assistance program (EAP). They referred me to my Dr. (which I was trying to avoid). I really wanted to quit, so I bit the bullet and visited my Dr. She explained the protocol for her medical group and my insurance was to quit for atleast 1 day. Upon withdrawal setting in, visit the emergency room. The emergency room put me in ICU. I was in the hospital for about 2 1/2 days. I left with a prescription for anxiety to hold me over until I could get a Dr.'s appointment. A week later, I had my first session with a therapist. EAP gives me 7 sessions. After therapy I visited my Dr. again and she gave me a couple of prescriptions. I came home, found SR, found Lifering (a secular alternative to AA). My first meeting is tomorrow evening. Hopefully between the medical Dr., therapist, SR, and Lifering, I'll be able to create a plan to deal with the future challenges of recovery. First and foremost, I've committed to never picking up a drink again. For me, 1 drink always leads to many. See ya' Resolv
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You already have some good input here, good luck!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am trying not to see a doctor. Not sure why but I really don't like doctors. I have been on anxiety and depression meds in the past and this would definitely be a last resort. I di appreciate all the input im getting.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing I have found out about staying sober is what I like is usually in direct contradiction to what I need. Getting and staying sober is about what works not what is convenient
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I really don't like doctors...this would definitely be a last resort.
Last resorts, huh? Emergency hospital visits usually are.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Last resorts, huh? Emergency hospital visits usually are.
THIS!!!!!..................... See the Dr!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why would this end up in the emergency room?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not ment as a dumb question. I went 2 days without dangerous withdrawal symptoms. Can things still get dangerous after that point. I drink more than I should but not like a liter of hardalcohol a day... I drink in the evening only..
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not ment as a dumb question. I went 2 days without dangerous withdrawal symptoms. Can things still get dangerous after that point. I drink more than I should but not like a liter of hardalcohol a day... I drink in the evening only..
We cant give you medical advise as we are not doctors and it is against the rules here. However with that being said withdrawls can indeed be dangerous and the best thing you can do to start your journey to sobriety is see the Dr
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's unpredictable and can be very dangerous. It's a good idea to talk to your dr. There's not a lot about early recovery that is comfortable, so it's a good idea to accept that you might need to move outside of your comfort zone.

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also suggest you give in and see your doctor and ask for help in getting thru withdrawals safely. Then you'll need to do something to maintain sobriety, whether it be AA or another program, counseling, or whatever works for you.

Ask your father in law how he's made it this far.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok. Point taken. I will call doc and make an appointment. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anyone here able to do this without medication? Im ok with seeing a doctor even tho im embarrassed. I have an extremely addictive personality (obviously) I simply worry about creating yet another addiction...
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No time like the present Allen, yeap I did it without medication, but I would definitely see a Dr also, I did to get my vitals checked, just to be safe!!

You need a plan and a system of support to do this, execute the plan and you're on your way!!