Notices

New to SR

Old 08-12-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR

I found this site a couple of weeks ago. When reading forum posts I kept saying "that's me too!"

Short story; 2 weeks sober as of today and I feel great. Typical day for me would be a 6 pack after work (or a 4 pack of a 9.5% beer) and 2 or 3 liters of wine after dinner. I'd usually take care of a 5 liter wine box in 2 or 3 days. If not the wine than 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of gin or vodka. Been slowly increasing my intake for a few years. Weekends would easily be a 6 to 9 hour binge.

I quit for three weeks about 18 months ago due to an unrelated medical issue. My mindset back then was to get better and start drinking again, which I did.

I almost always drank alone at home. Funny part is I could go to a social function and not drink, the hard part was not drinking before I'd go.

The intellectual side of me knew I had a drinking problem but my AV kept saying feed me. My wife obviously saw it and started mentioning it to me, but not in a nagging way, she was concerned.

The final straw that caused me to stop? Herniated a disk in lower back and getting surgery (not a fusion) to repair it. Doc gave me Vicodin to ease the pain. The desire not to OD on alcohol and Vicodin finally convinced me to stop. Surgery postponed to next week and I am being careful with the meds. They take the edge off the pain but I don't experience any high from them.

Trying to decide if I should try an AA meeting or some other type of counseling. So far the forums here have given be some measure of strength and hope that I can finally stop drinking.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi KenCT, welcome to SR. I've been sober over 2 years now and I credit SR for helping me stay strong. Even though I enjoyed drinking I much prefer sobriety because of the wonderful clear headed mornings and lack of self-reproach.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Glad you are here!

Congrats on your 2 weeks! As you can see there is already a lot of information and support here.

I personally go to AA but there are many different types of recovery programs. My advice is to find one and then stick with it for at least 30 days. Many find that the first one they choose does not fit and that is okay but give the program you decide on a bit of time before jumping to the next. You never know, the first choice could be the best choice if you give it a little time.

It is your life and your recovery. Make the best choices for you.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Ken.Glad you are here.

Congratulations on 2weeks.I attend AA,perhaps go to a few meetings,sit and listen and decide if it is for you.I could always stay sober on my own for periods of time,once it was 3years,staying stopped was my problem,a day at a time I haven't needed to drink for over 11years.

I wish you well.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome and congratulations on yourdecision to live a sober life!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Ken and welcome…you sound like you have a really clear perspective on where you are at. SR has helped me a lot! I'm in CT too..Greenwich!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ken! You are a wise man to stop now. Good luck with surgery and recovery. I hope to see more of you here!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ken!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the words of support. I have finally decided to take control of my life back and it looks like I found the right place and people to assist. I knew that I'd have to get sober sometime and now is the time.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ken and welcome. This site has been a great source of support for me, I hope you will find the same.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family, Ken. Congrats on two weeks sober. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you join us Ken - welcome

D