Notices

Just coming off a hell of a bender...

Old 08-12-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just coming off a hell of a bender...

I am sitting here with very little sleep over the past few days. I have been without alcohol for over 24 hours now but after a week long bender I am suffering pretty badly still. All the good old classics, a slight sheen of sweat over my skin, bouts of nausea (ugh), anxiety, feeling of little self worth, the smell of alcohol coming through my skin and mild shakes.
The nausea went away for a bit but has blessed me with it's presence in the past hour.
Something I found helpful in regards to the anxiety is B12 and ADHS Biotics. I took two of each in the middle of the night with the anxiety was literally making me rock back and forth a little. It staved off the anxiety enough for me to get a few short runs of sleep, yay!
Looking forward to being more active on this forum. I've lurked a few times over the year but never contributed.
I am feeling good about my choice to be a forever non-drinker. I have had several longs stints of sobriety lasting a 2-3 months at a time in the last year. I have learned that life is so much more manageable sober and, AND I have even learned to attend events where alcohol is serve and enjoy the heck out of myself anyway!
One caveat, I am (with the blessing) of my doctor on a regime of Antabuse (an anti-alcohol drug). I need to add in recovery support into my program though. I have been on Antabuse for less then a year now and have on several occasions gotten cocky and convinced myself that I can go off and start drinking like a "regular" person again. This time around I am actually having my husband administer it to my on a daily basis. It's so good to have that accountability.
Alright... I am off to lay prone for a little bit before I have to start me day. Just wanted to say hi and get a few things off my chest.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you've been to see a doctor.

You never have to feel like this again.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I found that for this alcoholic sobriety is a gift that if wanted takes a lot of work to acquire for the long haul. For some it’s easier than others. There are some requirements involved and one is the true desire to be sober, then we need to be honest with ourselves about OUR drinking then we need to accept the fact that we can NOT drink in safety.
Keep coming.

BE WELL
Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What will you add in as your program of recovery?

You've probably learnt by now that our desire to avoid negative consequences and our own resolve alone is not enough.

I encourage you to give AA a legitimate, committed shot. I encourage you to go to meetings for at least three months, and in that time read the entire Big Book at least three times.

You may feel resistant to this idea.... but that is just one more indication that it is probably one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself.

You have nothing to lose, and your Life to gain.

You can end this cycle.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both! I have found so many kind words of wisdom here.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
What will you add in as your program of recovery?

You've probably learnt by now that our desire to avoid negative consequences and our own resolve alone is not enough.

I encourage you to give AA a legitimate, committed shot. I encourage you to go to meetings for at least three months, and in that time read the entire Big Book at least three times.
You may feel resistant to this idea.... but that is just one more indication that it is probably one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself.

You have nothing to lose, and your Life to gain.

You can end this cycle.

Hi. That line gave me a chuckle years after the fact. At a beginners meeting I attended I proudly said I had read the BB since the last meeting a week previous. Someone correctly said “now you can study it.” Which is my response today.

BE WELL
Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FreeOwl- Sorry I didn't see you questions there.
Yes I am committing to AA. I need to talk... alot. I have been hiding behind alcohol for awhile and I need to spill my guts. I have felt alone. There is a GREAT group that is right by my house. I went to it in the past but then moved away for a few months. When I came back I abandoned the idea as I was attending a group where I was staying that I had a really hard time relating too. I have never really opened up at a meeting, talking has been hard for me. I am a very private person.
Alas it is time to break down that barrier and move forward. I have already made admissions of my problems to some important people in my life while I was bedridden this week and gotten overwhelming support. I am not alone. It seems like everyone has been touch by addiction at sometime in their life whether it was themselves or a loved one.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Each time I pick it up, I learn something new.

Every time I randomly open it for a little 'refresher reading' - something else relevant stands out.

I keep one by my bed and with me when I travel.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuperMega View Post
FreeOwl- Sorry I didn't see you questions there.
Yes I am committing to AA. I need to talk... alot. I have been hiding behind alcohol for awhile and I need to spill my guts. I have felt alone. There is a GREAT group that is right by my house. I went to it in the past but then moved away for a few months. When I came back I abandoned the idea as I was attending a group where I was staying that I had a really hard time relating too. I have never really opened up at a meeting, talking has been hard for me. I am a very private person.
Alas it is time to break down that barrier and move forward. I have already made admissions of my problems to some important people in my life while I was bedridden this week and gotten overwhelming support. I am not alone. It seems like everyone has been touch by addiction at sometime in their life whether it was themselves or a loved one.
you're on the right track.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Great you are deciding to turn it around. I have found life is easier and i am freeer in my mind and more stable emotionally. Just keep going
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have any hobbies separate from drinking?

Those help me get out of my head.

If you can and you are willing, you should also see a professional counselor to get to the bottom of your substance abuse.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go at things again with a new plan!! You can do this!!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Do you have any hobbies separate from drinking?

Those help me get out of my head.

If you can and you are willing, you should also see a professional counselor to get to the bottom of your substance abuse.
Yes when I am not drinking I Crossfit 5 days a week, practice yoga one day, I own my own business, I am an avid reader, I am painting a mural in my backyard, I have a family, AAANNNNDD we are renovating our 1950's home. The list could go on, I have enough interests to fill several lifetimes!!! =D

Yes, I have had several experiences with professional counselors and I have always found them so very helpful. Right now we are finishing up a complete kitchen renovation so I think I will stick with meetings until counseling is in the budget.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nine days sober today and feeling strong. =D
It's totally okay that I am not going to drink today or ever. I would rather stay classy and healthy then spiral down into a well of alcohol. No buzz is better then being back in control of my life.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad you have nine days. Keep on with it. I find it far easier to take it one day at a time instead of thinking "forever."

Your comment that you are working on a 1950s home brought this to mind. Retro Renovation - Remodeling, decor and home improvement for mid century and vintage homes. My house is 1954 and I'm about to embark on a kitchen sprucing up.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm 10 days in myself today- WAY TO GO, Mega!

I start my first/last(!!!) treatment program tonight as well, IOP. Wish me luck, and good luck to you!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's awesome - 9 days!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Your comment that you are working on a 1950s home brought this to mind. Retro Renovation - Remodeling, decor and home improvement for mid century and vintage homes. My house is 1954 and I'm about to embark on a kitchen sprucing up.
Cool site! What are your plans for your kitchen?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, I was looking for this thread and misplaced it. I'm keeping the upper cabinets which are a honey colored pine. I'm ripping out the base cupboards and replacing them with ikea's adel medium brown which I found to be an almost exact match. The current cabinets and counter are original to the house. I like them but the lowers are in horrible shape. My house had a ton of the original stuff in it when I bought it. Most I've let be. Pink sink and tub. How about you? Are you doing a complete sprucing or just certain rooms? I like that website for ideas. I could be on there for hours. It does keep me busy. And busy is good