Notices

Hi I am new here and desperate!

Old 07-18-2004, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I am new here and desperate!

Hi There,

I am new to this board. To make a long story short I am an alcoholic. First realised it about 7 yrs ago. Have been struggling since to get sober. I went to a treatment centre and AA. It seems to be an "off and on the wagon" experience for me. The longest time I have stayed sober was 15 months. Part of that was due to being pregnant and dealing with a newborn. Since all that it has started again. I have been drinking at night when everyone is asleep by myself. I will drink one day, regret it the next, stop for a couple more days then do it again. It is a horrible cycle and I wish I could break this once and for all. I know I need to go to a meeting. I just needed to share a little!

Thanks!
Bliss
Old 07-18-2004, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Bliss

JC here - alcoholic. You've found a helpful place. A lot of friends and advice to be found here. I learn something new everyday. You're right about the f2f meetings. Help me enormously. I can relate to the "cycle" so well. For years I would binge for three or four days - feel terrible and stop for three days - sober up then start again ..... crazy. But slowly now I'm beating this.

Great news that you've taken the time to post here. Shows that you want to quit and stay stopped. Great move. Welcome.

much love

JC
Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Halo Bliss:
Pretty new to this community myself but I've just found the chatroom. You or anyone else are welcome to join me there to talk if you wish. Hoping I finished up my last phone call for the evening a few minutes ago. Plan on sticking around in the chatroom for about an hour or so unless the phone rings again. Hope to see you or anyone else in there shortly. :bparty3 Maybe we can have a sober party.

((((((((Bliss & SR Members))))))))))),
ThreeLegs
Old 07-18-2004, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Bliss, Welcome to SR. I'm Deg and I'm an alcoholic too. I'm glad you've found us. You know what the solution is, and by talking about it and explaining how you feel about it to others, it gets clearer in your own mind.

If you've done it before for 15 months, you can do it again - and you will. You'll feel so much better, never have a hangover again for the rest of your life, gain hours otherwise 'lost' every day.

The next time you feel strong and are certain you can stop - don't let that feeling escape as quickly as it usually does - hang on to it as long as you can, and have a really good look at it.

Let us know how you get on - it matters.

Deg.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Bliss I am glad you are here. listen... I never fell off the wagon I jumped!!! I have 9 months sobriety and I am down with your struggle. stick around here there are wonderful people and the love and support is addictive. you will find your happiness.
love- alice
Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Bliss,
What everyone's said says it all, you can do it.
Indigo
Old 07-19-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bliss,
You described me perfectly! I stayed sober during my pregnancy and about 6 months after or so, had trouble nursing so the Dr. recommeded drinking beer to help with my milk supply! Was thrilled to hear that, but, sadly, got the drinking cycle started again!

My son is 2 now and this past year has been hell! I've stopped and started over so many times I couldn't begin to tell you how many times!

I too snuck drinks, the difference between us is that I kept getting caught by my H.
I got so sick and tired of the remorse, hangovers, blackouts, passouts, fights with H etc.. I FINALLY admitted I had/have a serious problem with binge drinking! I couldn't drink just a few to relax, when I drank, I drank to get drunk! I didn't drink to escape my life because I generally like my life, I just loved the feeling of being buzzed! Too Much!

I've been sober 16 days today, the longest I've been since pregnancy, before pregnancy, who knows how many years.

All I can offer you is that once you are really ready to accept defeat you will find the strength to stop drinking and stick with it! Doesn't mean that it's a piece of cake, I miss drinking some days, I really do, but, I'm learning that the temporary high can't even begin to compare to the feeling of waking up sober, hangover free, guilt free, and able to like myself again!

I know exactly what you are feeling and going through! Good Luck to you!
You can PM me if you'd like!

K
Old 07-19-2004, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Bliss, you are very welcome here. i to can relate to drinking like you did. you dont have to do that to your self any more. you do know how to stop it. you have done it before and you can do it now. it is not an easy path to remain abstanant but that is the only way out. on the other hand the horrible cycle you have been living is no bed of roses. one day at a time you can do that one day. keep us posted.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reading your story is neat for me. So much like me. I was sober for the 10-12 month period in which i was pregnant and dealing with a newborn(in which i had insanley horrible post part deppression due to the fact that im bipolar anyway. I just went 97 sober and screwed up the night before last. My son is 3 and i feel horrible. I wont drink if im the only one home with him, I know his father is there to watch him, but i dont want him to see me drunk!! Im back on the wagon with more determination that ever. But I feel so horrible God BLess and Good Luck
Old 07-19-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so glad I posted here. I already feel better today just reading all your inspiring messages. This is such a battle for me. Over the weekend I went camping with my H and son and had bought a bottle of vodka, poured it into a platic water bottle and proceeded to drink it before bed on friday. I woke up in a horrible state Saturday. Mood swings and horrible hangover. I didn't have anymore on Saturday so I was SOL. So I dealt with it. Sunday I didn't get the opportunity to buy more since we were away all day and came home only after all the stores were closed. Thank Goodness! So that brings me to today...I woke up this morning feeling very inspired. I went to a playgroup with my son and we had a great time. I went grocery shopping and to run some errands. I had the thought in my head to stop at the liquor store but I didn't. I finally made it home we had dinner. It was around 6:45 pm and I knew the store was closing possibly at 7? My h went to play baseball and I got in the car and drove around for about 30 min trying to find a store that was open. They were all closed. Thank Goodness! I started to laugh and thanked God for them being closed. I needed another night of sobriety and I got it! I am glad I am on this and sober instead. I always feel better after I realise I didn't go through with it. I am going to a meeting tomorrow. I am so thankful for all your responses. They have really helped me a lot. Looking forward to speaking to you all soon.

Here's to another 24 hours!

Regards
Bliss
Old 07-19-2004, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by bliss
I needed another night of sobriety and I got it! I am glad I am on this and sober instead. I always feel better after I realise I didn't go through with it. I am going to a meeting tomorrow. I am so thankful for all your responses. They have really helped me a lot. Looking forward to speaking to you all soon.
Awesome! Don't stop when the miracle has started.
And the meeting tomorrow?
Big time
Old 07-19-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

New

HI

I am not sure what I am doing. I am overcome that there is this site. My srory is going to be short this time. 57 yr old. addicted most of my life. came from a great home. have lots of education. feel alone and am struggling. Also have hope.
Thanks pjt
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are not alone

Hi Paula,

Thanks for posting! Congratulations for finding this site and claiming your life back. You sound very alone right now and I can relate big time to that. I want you to know that you are not alone. Alcohol caused me to feel alone since it took control over my life the point where I would isolate myself from the rest of the world so I could drink by myself. Eventually it got so bad I lost myself and didn't even know who I was anymore. All you need is a desire to stop drinking and anything goes. You can do it! Keep posting whenever you feel you need to and keep in touch.

You are very welcome here! Glad to have you here!
Bliss
Old 07-19-2004, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Paula Thornton
Also have hope.
Welcome Paula!
Hope? Gimme some of yours, and you can have some of mine
Old 07-19-2004, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Paula & Bliss)))

Welcome to SR, my name's Talia and I'm an alcoholic.

Thank you for coming and sharing your story. Your sharing helps me remain sober.

One day at a time!!!

Talia
Old 07-19-2004, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Bliss and Hi Paula

Welcome to both of you! I'm glad you're here.

My name is Rowan and I'm a grateful recovering alcoholic.

I just wanted to welcome you both - so glad you found us.

Keep coming back!

Rowan