REALLY OT - Coffee

Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stoic

REALLY OT - Coffee

I always knew a Latte was simply a shot of Espresso that has frothed milk poured into it...but never knew what a Macchiato was.
I just looked it up...apparently, a Macchiato is frothed milk, that has a shot of Espresso poured into it.
So, the only difference is what order they go in the cup??

Coffee is too freaking fancy!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

haha I used to be a barista.....isn't it funny what makes drinks classified as different?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, Lordy.

I live in the land of Starbucks. It really shouldn't require fourteen qualifiers to order a coffee.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did not know that!!! I do however know that my favorite is a Caramel Macchiato . It's worth the entire $5.75 I pay for it, so I don't get them too often LOL!

ps...I always order a "large" and they look at me like I am nuts. Not so good with fancy coffee names but sure like drinking it!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stoic

What I really don't understand, is why the two drinks have different prices??
Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I do however know that my favorite is a Caramel Macchiato .
It's my favorite from Starbucks, too, extra caramel. However, I am told (often) by a friend who's kind of a coffee snob, that its' not a 'real' machiatto. Apparently, the espresso is supposed to be 'marked' by the steamed/foamed milk. i.e. It's shouldn't be more milk than espresso like the Starbucks drink.... I think it's good to know if I were ever able to travel outside the States, but it's not going to change my favorite at Starbucks.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Speaking of Starbucks, does anyone know when the pumpkin latte is coming back? That us one of my guilty pleasures!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also off topic. My grandfather was a farmer. He drank hot chocolate and orange or grape juice each morning. We would make big batches of hot chocolate mix and store them in a big Tupperware canister. His guilty pleasure was coffee. I started working at a restaurant and would invite him in for breakfast, my treat. He didn't like to eat out and thought it was a waste of money. Finally after a couple of years he decided to come see me at work... but insisted on paying for it. We bantered back and forth on it for a bit, and he won. When he saw the price of coffee.... oh gosh.... all heck broke lose. Makes me smile now that he is gone. It was only a dollar then, but obviously free refills. If he knew that it was 2.29 now... I guarantee he would be grumbling and being grumpy. I used to have to serve many types of coffee drinks at an Italian restaurant I worked at once. I think that they are tasty, but, like my grandpa, I can't justify the price.... but I do drink pots of coffee each day.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Starbucks coffee names are not like any other coffee names. Many of them are made up by the company and mean something completely different at SB than at any other coffee shop.

For example, when I worked a a barista (back when SB was just a local Seattle shop), a macchiato was a shot of espresso topped with a dollop of whipped cream. A cafe au lait was espresso with warm milk. Latte was cafe au lait with a thin layer of foam. Cappuccino was espresso and equal amounts hot milk and foamed milk.