Notices

Detoxing

Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing

I went on a binge and drank all weekend. I now have the shakes, sweats and I am miserable. Does anyone have any advice? I really want to commit to sobriety.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are having symptoms that concern you, please talk to your dr or go to an ER. Detoxing is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Isabel - welcome to SR. This is a great place for support & encouragement.

I agree that it's best to see your doctor to be safe. My blood pressure spiked dangerously when I stopped.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am just hiding at home. I don't want anyone to see me like this. My insomnia is the worst.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Isabel9885, if you are concerned about withdrawals it's a good idea to see a doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous. SR is a great place for support. Best wishes.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

One good step in recovery is to set your pride aside and do what must be done. Seeing a doctor is one of those things. Withdrawals from alcohol can be deadly. I recommend you see a doctor as soon as possible. A doctor will be able to help you withdrawal symptoms and even help you find resources for sobriety. It's embarrassing at first but my experiences have all been positive when it comes to asking doctors for help. How about it?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Isabel!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was able to get a little sleep last night and was able to do errands this morning. Going to AA tonight. I wish I could do detox and rehab but can't afford it and don't have insurance. I just need help getting through the next couple of days. I can't stand all the sweating. I feel like everyone notices it.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you can't go to a detox try not to be alone. Have some one around who could call for help if needed. You can have seizures it's pretty dangerous. Plus it just plain sucks.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Be safe Isobel. Lots of support here. How did AA go? I'm here on day 9 thanks to the support I found here. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isabel9885 View Post
I was able to get a little sleep last night and was able to do errands this morning. Going to AA tonight. I wish I could do detox and rehab but can't afford it and don't have insurance. I just need help getting through the next couple of days. I can't stand all the sweating. I feel like everyone notices it.
Check around to see if there are place where you can do it without insurance and get financial assistance. I know I went multiple times through detox and they even offered rehab at no cost to me. Look and see if there is a state run program or better yet a community service board that can get you free or affordable help. I know the Rappahannock Area Community Services Board: RACSB saved my life at no cost to me. There are great programs out for people like us if you look for them. Hope you make it through because hard and potentially dangerous to do it alone.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice. It's nice to know I am not alone.

How long has the insomnia last for you? I feel if I could just sleep I would feel better.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I personally have chronic insomnia and have dealt with it for as long as I can remember. Sleep was one of the biggest issues that lead to my drinking and becoming an addict. With that said I don't get much sleep at all now that im clean and sober. Im on day 33 and am lucky if I get three hours a night. But that is better then the hour I was getting a few weeks ago so I'll take whatever I can get. I have two prescriptions from my Dr for insomnia but I really don't like taking them unless there's a stretch of 3 or 4 days where I get little to no sleep.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My sleeping got better after about a month sober.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I slept on and off last night. Still had the sweats but I feel like my body is resetting. Going to another meeting tonight.