Notices

See the dr tomorrow...scared

Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

See the dr tomorrow...scared

Tomorrow I see a brand new GP for the first time and get to discuss my alcoholism. Its causing me anxiety/panic. I get to tell him I have been having yellow stools for a few weeks..im terrified and stupidly I googled and have got myself in quite a state. im frightened and not sure what to do with it
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stop diagnosing on google. You'll drive yourself nuts. Just be honest with your doctor. Tell him how long you've been sober and that you want to quit drinking for good. Get some tests done to relieve your anxiety. And whatever you do - stay sober!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Carrie,

You know better than to listen to Dr internet! He's a quack.

Understandable that you should feel a bit nervous though. I don't doubt your mind will be set at ease quickly tomorrow.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got complacent and convinced myself I could moderate, it was exactly what my addictions counsellor said some people do...I own that I let that happen. So I know I need to approach with a different plan, I cant afford to risk my sobriety ever again. The fear and anxiety is just all consuming, ive been self medicating for so long its so hard to know how to handle the attacks
Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Carrie some of us have diagnosed ourselves with multiple terminal illnesses on Google. Leave it alone. Get something hot or cold to drink, do some deep breathing and go and look at the sky.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seeing your doctor is brilliant. Make sure to tell him everything, anxiety, the amount you drink, the hole story.

Try not to over stress, take deep breaths, and trust me, you will be relieved to have made the visit.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

yes, don't do that google thing, I apparently, have prostrate problems.....I'm female......

breathe and relax.

Hugs and love to you
Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sugarbear1, thanks for that! I needed to laugh. I can relate.

Carrie, don't be afraid to tell your doctor the truth. He/she isn't there to judge. Good luck! I'm sending you positive vibes!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Carrie, I remember being incredibly overwhelmed and panicky too, concerned about my health. Your dr will give you the answers you need and you'll get through this. You can't change the past, but you can make sure that you have a good plan for the future to begin your recovery. Good luck at the dr.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
Tomorrow I see a brand new GP for the first time and get to discuss my alcoholism. Its causing me anxiety/panic. I get to tell him I have been having yellow stools for a few weeks..im terrified and stupidly I googled and have got myself in quite a state. im frightened and not sure what to do with it
Hi Carrie

I recently changed my GP surgery and like you I was anxious. On my first appointment I was so scared I brought up a minor illness and left as soon as I could. I realised my stupidity and went back. I told the GP everything and she took it all in her stride and didn't batter an eyelid. She was so calm and relaxed that it made me feel at ease. Here I am telling her all about my drinking and it's like she's heard it all before. And guess what, she has and probably hears much worse everyday.

Basically I felt stupid for bottling it the first time. We talked, she diagnosed me, prescribed me something and ordered a full blood test. I was so glad I saw her. I see her again this week, and can't wait. Trust me, discussing your alcoholism with your GP is one of the best things you will do.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carrie seeing a doctor is awesome. Our bodies are tough and the doctor will help you get back to the health you desire. Breathe, relax, and get r' done.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Carrie, I hope it all goes well for you today. If not, well the human body is amazingly resilient when properly cared for.