Notices

I'm scared

Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm scared

I'm so scared. I've been doing fairly well with sobriety. Had a few slips here and there but I've got back on track right away.

One of the main reasons I quit is because I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've noticed I keep confusing numbers and forgetting to do some of my favorite pass times. And I've forgot other little things too. Till last night.

Last night I woke up in a panic over something and went to yell for someone but I had forgot their name. I kept thinking and thinking and it took about 5 mins to come to mind. I was freaking out saying why can't I remember their name. It scared me so bad I felt lost and confused.

It's had me so scared and crying all day. Am I losing my memory? Am I losing my mind?

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober?

The reason I ask is because these symptoms you have about forgetting and such are quite common.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As always seeing a doctor about your concern is the best thing to do waterfalls.

But fact is that Alcohol does injure your brain, can cause memory issues and other physical issues like your liver etc. progression can only stop by stoping for good.

This will provide with your body and mind to do some most needed healing.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the short term my memory got worse when I got Sober, but in time it all adjusted again!!

For any longer term damage, the good news is the body is a fantastic machine, with a period of abstinence brain cells can regenerate!!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do talk to your dr if you're concerned.

I hope you begin to feel better soon.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself some good solid continuous sober time before you worry about your memory. Early recovery can be rough as the brain and body heals, but usually gets better the longer you're sober. Good food and rest and exercise won't hurt either.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear it's somewhat normal. My memory is horrible right now, I just need to give it more time. Thanks guys!! I've quit crying now. I don't know what I would do without you all
Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Waterfalls,

As many have said, an MD visit is the best route if you have a health concern.

I stopped 4 weeks ago and last week my short and long term recall were so bad I was afraid for my own sanity. However, the past two days I feel sharper and my memory is clearer. I am back to work tomorrow, so we will see, but I haven't had to correct myself or go back to do something I had forgotten to do 5x in a row. My word finding and reasoning skills were also not up to par. Try to not let it get you worked up, anxiety exacerbates memory difficulty also.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'll chime in too Waterfalls - I had that happen in early sobriety. I felt very fuzzy & out of it. Everything was much better after a couple months.

If there's no improvement please do see your doctor.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

WF's - At two months, my long term memory(who, what, where) from years ago is improving daily it seems. Things I had long forgotten pop into my head.

The short term still is rebooting ........such as, Why the hell did I open this drawer?????

We'll be fine I am sure!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I asked this. Sitting here with my thoughts had me thinking my mind was shot. That's one of my biggest fears from all the years I drank and I was thinking, yep you did damage your brain Waterfalls. Talking about it here makes me realize I just need more healing time and to quit freaking out
Old 08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I screwed up tonight. The pressure of my family life and I'm trying to buy a house. Looking at all these places to buy and having to commit to one is so overwhelming. I slipped and drank now I'm feeling so bad. I'm going to feel awful tomorrow. It's like a movie, take 1 million. Back to square one feeling like crap.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey WFs, but you got back on here and back on the horse, right? That's a good sign.

There will always, always be an excuse to drink. We're alcoholics, breathing is an excuse to drink.

One of the hardest things to deal with in sobriety is life. Seriously. We're so used to numbing or coping with our feelings through drinking that it seems impossible to imagine any other way. And, yes, it is going to suck the first few times. Heck, even the first dozen times. But, just like your brain heals if you stop poisoning it? You also learn how to cope with life one crappy, stressful situation at a time. And each time you do it? The next time is easier.

Sounds all sunshiney and something I wouldn't have believed myself eighteen months ago. But, alas, it's true.

Stop setting yourself back. Let your brain heal and know that you can live (and thrive!) without drinking.

Glad you came right back. Next time, hop on here before you take a drink. We're very good at convincing you not to

Hugs.