Notices

ginkgo biloba?????

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

ginkgo biloba?????

Afternoon folks,

I was making a cup of iced tea a little while ago, after putting ice in the cup, I got a gallon of milk out of the refrigerator and starting pouring. I'm having trouble remembering words, details, etc. This is problematic especially for me because I'm an instructor. Do you think ginkgo biloba will help? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've no personal experience with ginkgo biloba!!

My mind was also all over the place for a long time, forgetting things etc, but it all eased with time!!

Hang in there!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Resolv,

I've just looked at your earlier threads and have seen that you are relatively newly sober and a few days ago were complaining for shaking. Like it was recommended on your previous thread, I would suggest to check in with a doctor first, before you decide to start taking Ginkgo or any other herbal cognitive enhancers. Have you had a thorough physical recently? For example, nutritional deficiencies are very common in alcoholics and they take time to normalize even with healthy diet after quitting drinking. Some of the common nutritional deficiencies that can be caused by heavy drinking can also lead to cognitive deficits, and they are relatively easy to help with correcting those nutrients after having a picture of them from blood tests etc. Your doctor can help with this. Other than that, cognitive problems are very common in early sobriety and can last for several months in some people even in the absence of identifiable physiological problems.

I would suggest that you see a doctor, perhaps even get an evaluation by a neurologist, and ask their advice what might help, including potential supplements. Ginkgo can also have side effects and interactions with other potential meds and these are also important to check first.

Good luck to you!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talk to your dr and find out what his opinion of it is.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety and trouble concentrating are common in early recovery. Give yourself more sober time, along with rest, exercise, and good food. Healing the brain takes some time.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Once again, no medical advice given here.
My personal regimen includes ginkgo biloba, spirulina, milk thistle derivatives,
a quality psyllium husk-based colon cleanser powder, a quality multi-vitamin, etc.
But, ask your personal Dr. whether it's the right thing or not for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

My journey started with 3 days in the hospital. I had a serious potassium deficiency. The staff fed me potassium several times a day. It was horrible! Shortly after being released from the hospital I visited my Dr. It was my Dr. who recommended I start at the hospital. The Dr. gave me a few prescriptions. My next appointment with her is in 1 1/2 weeks. I'm also seeing a therapist, my next appointment is next week. Thank you everyone for your input. I'll figure something out. See ya' Resolv

It's ironic isn't it. At least for a period of time, I performed better as an alcoholic than I am currently in recovery. It is what it is...
Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is a Fitness, Health & Nutrition forum here as well. They may have some experience to share with you.

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information