Courage To Change 08/10/14

Old 08-10-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 08/10/14

At an Al-Anon meeting we discussed the way our housekeeping habits reflected the effects of alcoholism. One person shared that his life felt completely unmanageable unless his house was perfectly neat. Tidiness gave him an illusion of control. Others, including me, spoke of floors so strewn with clothes, books, and papers that we could not cross the room without stepping on, or tripping over, something. I had always considered this just a bad habit until I heard someone share that this clutter was her way of keeping people at a distance—isolating. Then I remembered that in the house where I grew up, clutter had served just this function: I was always afraid to invite friends over because everything was too messy. It was uncomfortable to realize that I was doing the same thing in adulthood that had kept me isolated as a child.

Today’s Reminder
By taking a fresh look at what I thought of as just a bad habit, I can free my life of some clutter today. I can consider hidden motives for that habit without condemning myself or my family. Clutter doesn’t have to be physical; I may also find areas of my mental, spiritual, or emotional life that are in disarray. I can heal without making moral judgments about myself or others.
“. . . the Al-Anon program can give me a new view of my world by helping me to see myself more clearly.. . .”
One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting... ever since I made my RAH move out I've been on a cleanup binge, I took three bags of clothes out of my closet today for the Goodwill alone. I've cleaned out cabinets, closets and bookcases. It must mean something lol.