Notices

Fallen but still standing

Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fallen but still standing

I had a great couple of days. Stayed busy which is essential for my sobriety. Had several hours of down time late afternoon yesterday and had a few. I did not get drunk and no hangovers.

But I feel like I was really lucky as usually I won't stop. I know me no matter how much I lie to myself. Anyway, even though I did not get drunk, I reset my date of sobriety. Sobriety to me is no alcohol.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Sobriety to me is no alcohol.
For me too.

You can't stay busy all the time. Hope you can find a recovery that allows you to sit quietly without feeling the need to drink.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go at it again Charlie!! SR is in your corner!!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, do you have a plan for next time that you're not busy? I hope you can find healthy ways to spend your time.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get back at it Charlie! And don't let your AV mess with you, because it will. I was thinking today how much I'd love a glass of wine tonight. I picked up some fresh mussels on the way home from the beach, a glass of cold white would be sooo perfect. And then I thought about what would happen:

1. I'd have ONE glass of white tonight. I'd really control myself because I'd be feeling guilty anyway and want to prove my strength.

2. I'd not drink for another couple of days because I felt so bad.

3. A few days later my AV would trick me and say "see, you did it the other night, you CAN have just one"

4. I'd drink again, not too much, but a bit more.

5. Either the next day or the day after that I'd be back to daily drinking to excess.

I want #1 on the list. But #1 will inevitably lead to #'s 2-5 so I can't do it.
Stop yourself here, don't go on to #2-5.

YOu can do it!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

. Had several hours of down time late afternoon yesterday and had a few.
Drinking was what I did with my "down time" also. It was my hobby. I really had no idea what to do with myself other than drink if I wasn't working or didn't have something important enough that I could not. I didn't get embarrassingly or black out drunk every time I drank...but that wasn't something I had much control of. I had no certainty of anything once alcohol hit my bloodstream. The intention for one glass of wine often turned into a drunken debacle.

It seems now...that I want sobriety even more than I want to quit drinking. I want what sobriety has to offer. I want to learn how to handle my life head on and sober. I am so very tired of where I have been..how I have handled things...how completely underdeveloped my life and emotional muscle has become.

What will you do the next time you have "down time"?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Charlie.

As Dee often says, it was the times he got away with having a few that were dangerous. It was encouraging to have success - then we feel like we have control. We know better though. I'm glad you recognize you're putting yourself in danger. I usually just kept going when I slipped - & turned my world upside down once again. This won't happen to you.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses and help. It's true, I can't stay busy 24/7 so ill have to figure out down time solutions. The family is gone for the next 4 hours so I grilled a nice lunch and watching the local ball game. Last week I would have already been 7 deep. But today I chose not to drink.

I would really like to get some time under my belt so I could in turn start helping others on SR instead of always being the one asking for help.

Again thank you all for the continued support as you are my support system.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Get back at it Charlie! And don't let your AV mess with you, because it will. I was thinking today how much I'd love a glass of wine tonight. I picked up some fresh mussels on the way home from the beach, a glass of cold white would be sooo perfect. And then I thought about what would happen:

1. I'd have ONE glass of white tonight. I'd really control myself because I'd be feeling guilty anyway and want to prove my strength.

2. I'd not drink for another couple of days because I felt so bad.

3. A few days later my AV would trick me and say "see, you did it the other night, you CAN have just one"

4. I'd drink again, not too much, but a bit more.

5. Either the next day or the day after that I'd be back to daily drinking to excess.

I want #1 on the list. But #1 will inevitably lead to #'s 2-5 so I can't do it.
Stop yourself here, don't go on to #2-5.

YOu can do it!

Yep that’s the way it works! Alcohol is cunning, powerful and so baffling. The huge problem is that so many do not make it back after a relapse for various reasons, often shame and despair.

BE WELL
Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses and help. It's true, I can't stay busy 24/7 so ill have to figure out down time solutions. The family is gone for the next 4 hours so I grilled a nice lunch and watching the local ball game. Last week I would have already been 7 deep. But today I chose not to drink.

I would really like to get some time under my belt so I could in turn start helping others on SR instead of always being the one asking for help.

Again thank you all for the continued support as you are my support system.

When I had the feeling of being sick and tired of being sick and tired I immersed myself in and became very active in AA. Much first hand face to face help from people who understand each other along with the BS of new comers.
Many have to get honest with themselves about their drinking and have the attitude of going to ANY length to get and stay sober.

BE WELL
Old 08-10-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
from people who understand each other along with the BS of new comers.
Ouch.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Ouch.
lol sadly there are plenty of ouch moments in aa nu its not all about being kind in a soft way either
sometimes telling people things they dont really want to hear is needed
like when i was ranting on and on about my ex wife or how bad my life was etc people told me that if they was unhappy being sober as i was then they would go back on the drink

how dare they say that to me the cheeky buggers lol : ) but it worked as i knew i had to look at me and why thing were still hurting me today my shares in aa are not half as bad although i can still get moments of anger over my son or the way life has turned out, but i am still happy and grateful to be sober thanks to the many kicks up the bum or ouch moments that come my way at times
Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Ouch.
Typo I would think. Or hope.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
lol sadly there are plenty of ouch moments in aa nu its not all about being kind in a soft way either
sometimes telling people things they dont really want to hear is needed
like when i was ranting on and on about my ex wife or how bad my life was etc people told me that if they was unhappy being sober as i was then they would go back on the drink

how dare they say that to me the cheeky buggers lol : ) but it worked as i knew i had to look at me and why thing were still hurting me today my shares in aa are not half as bad although i can still get moments of anger over my son or the way life has turned out, but i am still happy and grateful to be sober thanks to the many kicks up the bum or ouch moments that come my way at times
I would have to disagree somewhat desypete. This member is only beginning the journey, and specifically said that he realizes that sobriety = no Alcohool.

Thought love is appropriate sometimes, but this case does not apply.

Respectfully, Patman
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
I would have to disagree somewhat desypete. This member is only beginning the journey, and specifically said that he realizes that sobriety = no Alcohool.

Thought love is appropriate sometimes, but this case does not apply.

Respectfully, Patman
yes i agree with you over the post, and also when i first went to aa i certainly didnt get any kicks up the bum all i got was kindness
i wasnt refering to the post in terms of saying well done for a kick up the bum i was merely pointing out than in aa there are plenty of ouch moments lol

or maybe this is a time i should of kept my gob shut : ) ?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No offense taken at all from anyone. I come here to get support and the occasional lashing. I restarted my sobriety clock on Sunday morning and all has been well. Feel great and slept great. Like I said earlier, I did not get drunk Saturday, just had a couple, but that is not what I want out of sobriety. I do not want any alcohol. Thanks to everyone for the comments and support. 35 hours under my belt.