Notices

The Shakes!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

The Shakes!

How do you guys go about when you get the shakes! The shaky hands and sweaty palms feeling.. Im on day 7 and it seems to be affecting me today usually I sit somewhere quiet and try calm myself down.

Anyone have experiences with this and how often does it affect you during withdrawal?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I had the shakes so bad i had to drink with a straw because i couldn't hold a cup to my lips. This was usually around days 3-6. I don't think i could reliably write for the first couple of weeks. I found my hand shaking on occasion for the first month or so. Since you're experiencing the shakes, you may want to check in with a doctor. It's always good to get your doctor on board with your sobriety.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

I have slight trembles but its not to the point where it stops me from functioning. Just slight trembles in my fingers and my hands sweat a bit
Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Well, my trembles mostly resolved after about a month and i still find that if i'm tired or stressed, my hands may still shake a tad (at 4.5 months now). I just wanna stress the doctor check up for people in early sobriety. I had bloodwork done after a couple weeks of sobriety and found out that my electrolytes were dangerously out of wack. My potassium was so low that i was asked to go to an emergency room and be seen. I was a petite 31 year old woman and at risk of having a heart attack. All because my body had been so severely dehydrated for so long from my alcoholism. Again, i was 2 weeks out, been drinking Gatorade like a fiend and thought all i had to worry about was my liver. If you can, see a doc. It's much better safe than dead, my friend.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering

I do tend to feel dehydrated a lot and make frequent trips to the bathroom (probably the liver clearing itself) so I will take your advice!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Good deal! The first time i admitted my problem to a medical professional was when i checked myself into an ER for detox. I couldn't find a bed at a treatment center and i was desperate to stop drinking and not die so i walked in to the ER. I realized later that i'd walked into an ER that was in a hospital right next to the highway on the evening of the first heavy snow. I felt horrible. There were ambulances coming in with people who were hurt from accidents and i was there because i was a drunken lush. I thought the staff would hate me.

I was amazed at my treatment there. I was honest and ashamed but they treated me with a kindness that broke my heart. They smiled, they were happy for me and they took wonderful care of me. I didn't value myself at all but they found something worth working on in me. I can't say that i stayed sober after that medical detox but i can say that i was never again ashamed or scared to admit to a doctor that i'm an alcoholic and i need help.

When we go to a doctor for help with alcoholism, we are usually going at a very low point. We look at ourselves and all we see is failure and worthlessness. When they see us, they see someone who has decided that they need to change and is finally reaching out for help. Where we see an ending, they see a beginning. We give them hope and they give us help. They see one less person who is going to die from liver failure or an alcohol related injury. They see someone who is giving up one life for an all together better new one. Personally, i like meeting a new doctor and sharing that i'm a sober alcoholic. I've always been met with smiles, encouragement and help.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it'll all ease with time!!

In my first few weeks I spent a lot of time, going for walks, taking my mind of things!!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

B vitamins in max doses (I believe) helped me. I started supplementing a month before I laid down the booze and still at 2 months abstinent take them (along with zinc, folate, C, D,) every other day. I also tapered and (believe) that helped alleviate the serious PAWS. Everyone is different but the body needs time and the right "food" to heal. Meditation helped in that it allowed me to be aware of all sensations (still does) and being still in discomfort gives me relief. Best wishes on getting through this.