Notices

Sober Preseason

Old 08-09-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Preseason

So I haven't actually kept a count on how many days I haven't drank. But its the time of year for preseason football, and I look at it as my time for preseason soberness. I watched my Steelers today (unfortunate loss but at least its preseason) for the first time without a drink in a long time. I must say it was a win in my favor. Though I'll admit, I thought maybe not drinking would keep me calmer and I wouldn't yell at the TV rediculously but I was wrong about that. Must say, it feels great watching a football game knowing the next morning I won't feel bad from the drinking.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here we go steelers here we go!

I am really looking forward to remembering who won the games this year. Used to get sooooo frickin plowed on Sunday. Had to check scores on Mon am to remind me who won.

Still plan on yelling at the TV though. I might even make sense this year.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you watched sober and enjoyed the game. Even if your team lost, you won. Football season sober is tough if it's something you've always associated with drinking. Build on your success with the preseason games. Learn what works for you and tweak it, just like the teams are doing now.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just be greatful you didn't watch the Lions and the Browns. Snoozer. Johnny Football barely made it out of the game against the backups. Lucky for him Suh was on the sidelines.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I look it at that watching a game sober, isn't going to kill me..but boozing will for sure at some point.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Today, i was at CenturyLink Field for the Amazon picnic. We got our little schedule at the gate with 2 drink tickets each. I kinda get a little kick out of gifting my tickets to random people i end up chatting with. I kinda stuck out since i was decked out in my Packers gear. It was fun touring Seahawks stadium wearing my Clay Matthews jersey.

One little thing stuck out in my alcoholic mind. As we were leaving, we passed a recycling can with a little stack of drink tickets on it. Boggled my mind! How could someone leave drink tickets just sitting there? Why wouldn't someone use them? Why wasn't someone picking them up and grabbing a last minute beer? Sometimes, i think i give my tickets away because throwing them away would be a waste, lol!

The picnic was fun. I find that i enjoy events so much more now that i no longer have to be preoccupied with drinking. Pregaming, getting that first drink, wondering if i'm going to eat because eating would mess with my drinking, worrying about getting drunk or, even worse, not getting drunk enough, wondering if i can drive, worrying about how i look...my mind is so much more at ease now. It's a miracle!

Packers lost but hey, preseason. Go Pack Go!

ForumRunner_20140809_231334.jpg

ForumRunner_20140809_231354.jpg
Old 08-09-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mairie View Post
I look it at that watching a game sober, isn't going to kill me..but boozing will for sure at some point.
Great point Mairie!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That seems like it would be awesome! May I ask if you work for Amazon?

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Today, i was at CenturyLink Field for the Amazon picnic. We got our little schedule at the gate with 2 drink tickets each. I kinda get a little kick out of gifting my tickets to random people i end up chatting with. I kinda stuck out since i was decked out in my Packers gear. It was fun touring Seahawks stadium wearing my Clay Matthews jersey.

One little thing stuck out in my alcoholic mind. As we were leaving, we passed a recycling can with a little stack of drink tickets on it. Boggled my mind! How could someone leave drink tickets just sitting there? Why wouldn't someone use them? Why wasn't someone picking them up and grabbing a last minute beer? Sometimes, i think i give my tickets away because throwing them away would be a waste, lol!

The picnic was fun. I find that i enjoy events so much more now that i no longer have to be preoccupied with drinking. Pregaming, getting that first drink, wondering if i'm going to eat because eating would mess with my drinking, worrying about getting drunk or, even worse, not getting drunk enough, wondering if i can drive, worrying about how i look...my mind is so much more at ease now. It's a miracle!

Packers lost but hey, preseason. Go Pack Go!

Attachment 24336

Attachment 24337
Old 08-10-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have season tickets. (to narrow it down to 4 or 5 teams, without being specific, I can't stand the Steelers and you hate my team) OOOOOOO boy do I drink a ton at those games.......

I have been thinking about that a bit, but the first game where booze will be an option is in September. We sold one preseason game and are taking kids to the second.

We tailgate, cook and drink. Out of 4 guys, I drank the most. Luckily there is a range and one guy doesn't drink a ton. (3 light beers during 3 hours of tailgating and none inside or after)

So, my plan is to go from the biggest drinker, to the non-drinker.......a small hurdle in the big scheme but a hurdle nonetheless.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to the sport seasons starting again, NFL, NHL and Premier League soccer in the UK.

I can now remember every play, every highlight, and when it comes discussing the stats of a game, I can now remember them, as well as having that amazing hangover free feeling the next day!!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The first team that comes to my mind is your a Baltimore fan. There is definitely no love there. Lol

Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I have season tickets. (to narrow it down to 4 or 5 teams, without being specific, I can't stand the Steelers and you hate my team) OOOOOOO boy do I drink a ton at those games.......

I have been thinking about that a bit, but the first game where booze will be an option is in September. We sold one preseason game and are taking kids to the second.

We tailgate, cook and drink. Out of 4 guys, I drank the most. Luckily there is a range and one guy doesn't drink a ton. (3 light beers during 3 hours of tailgating and none inside or after)

So, my plan is to go from the biggest drinker, to the non-drinker.......a small hurdle in the big scheme but a hurdle nonetheless.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nope....can't stand them either
Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
Nope....can't stand them either
How about Cleveland?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My football coach used you to tell/yell at me..'stop thinking about where the ball might go before the play starts...wait till the play starts...see the ball, tackle the ball, and don't stop till the play is blown dead'. If he was sitting next to me in an AA meeting he would say...'Stop thinking about being sober...see yourself sober..then do it! Let the program do your thinking'.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you had a great time.

Games are a lot more fun sober.

My wife and I go to most of the home and some of the away games for the UT Vols.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know there's a preseason game on tonight. Can't wait to go home after work and watch the game sober. Its amazing how good you feel the next morning without drinking anything. I've said it before, most of the time I wouldn't drink to get drunk or even a buzz but may have one or two beers but since I quit completely it has still made a world of difference.