Notices

So much for being sober...

Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So much for being sober...

I succumbed to the temptation of alcohol today......just a worthless POS!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

CopanoBay, that does not make you a worthless POS. I have been there many times, and one thing that I've learned is that beating yourself up about it serves absolutely NO useful purpose. You have not lost all that you've worked towards. You can choose to wake up tomorrow and keep on working towards the better life that I know you deserve. Please don't give up.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can start again, fresh, tomorrow. Make this your last day one. Forgive yourself and learn from it. I failed many times before I got it right.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not worthless Copano, just human. Getting sober can be tough. Pick yourself up and recommit. The effort to get sober is well worth it.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What happened that triggered you to drink? You don't ever have to feel like a POS again...
Old 08-09-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey CapanoBay

beating yourself up will get you nowhere - except maybe back to more drinking.

You drank - it's done - now it's time to start working out a better plan to make sure it doesn't happen again

you can do this

D
Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
What happened that triggered you to drink? You don't ever have to feel like a POS again...
A broken heart....
Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Drinking only seems to ease the pain. It just makes us more miserable & anxious. Copa you caught yourself & came here to talk about it. That's actually progress, even though it doesn't feel like it. Sometimes we need further proof that drinking never makes any situation better. You will get there - never give up.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Never give up on yourself. We won't give up on you. Pick up, dust off, start over.
You got this.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, I don't.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not worthless and not a POS. If that were true, that all the alcoholics on here would be too and I know for a FACT that isn't the case
I know you are feeling down on yourself right now. I think we all have those moments. Things can look a lot brighter with a good nights sleep and a fresh outlook in the morning...perhaps with a tweaked sobriety plan too
Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank Y'all for the encouragement!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck and stay strong CopanoBay!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Copa I kind of know how you feel, I was 18 days in when i found out my girl was cheating on me. Now back to the drink. I thought i was doing good.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Originally Posted by kepeb30 View Post
Copa I kind of know how you feel, I was 18 days in when i found out my girl was cheating on me. Now back to the drink. I thought i was doing good.
I'm a lost soul....
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Copano...was just reviewing some of your threads. From what I read it kinda seems like you might have had 3 or 4 months of sobriety earlier this year? Is this true? Most of your threads have been ones similar to this one since.

Are you involved in a recovery group currently. One of your threads mentioned Celebrate Recovery. Did you find any success or resonance with that? What are you doing to support sobriety?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Broken hearts are hard to deal with...but drinking's not dealing with anything CB.

It just pushes the pain to one side, but never for long and the wound stays open tender and raw.

I was wondering the same thing as Nuu tho - whats your recovery plan been like til now?
do you have one? can you add to it?

D
Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We're all lost souls at times. At least I am. I was sitting in the shower the other day under the running water,sobbing because I just felt so overwhelmed. That doesn't mean I'm a POS. Drinking doesn't mean that you are a POS. It means we are human and we are seeking a better life for ourselves. But drinking isn't the answer for me. I can't think clearly enough to make better decisions.

Reach out here before you drink to talk about what's going on. Reach out to people in your life to talk to them about what's going on. Guilt and misery and shame about drinking isnt going to help you. It's what you do with the feelings that matters. Get some sleep, rest and start over.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

There is nothing that drinking can't make worse. You're a lost soul only if you decide that you are one. Coming here and posting seems to show that you've got something in you that hasn't given up on your sobriety. A broken heart is not mended by alcohol. It is not consoled by drink. It is not healed by oblivion. A broken heart may turn to alcohol for commiseration. I mean, if you're going to be sad, how about drinking and getting miserable? Alcohol doesn't bring joy to misery. It doesn't fix anything. All it does is bring oblivion and when that passes, the broken heart is still there but now it's got fear, isolation and a wicked hangover or withdrawals to keep it company. If misery loves company than alcohol is misery's BFF.

Broken hearts do mend. It takes time, contemplation, acceptance, honesty and letting go. You're here. You're among friends. Welcome. How about we start with setting the poison aside and taking a step back. Tomorrow the sun will rise, traverse the sky and set in the west again. Life will move on and new experience will come and go. Feelings will come and go. Some feelings stick around for longer than others but they will pass. It's okay to be sad. It's fine to feel regret. It's all a part of the human experience. So is joy and fellowship and acceptance. You are going to be as okay as you let yourself be. Don't let alcohol pull you away from humanity. Join us and live life on life's terms. It's a lot easier than raging against it or running and hiding from it.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I understand a broken heart.

I just got divorced after 18 years of marriage.

I turned to the bottle and it made it so much worse. I was depressed as hell, cried all the time, wanted to die.

Stop now before you become physically addicted.

I went to treatment and my head cleared and I realized that I am glad I am divorced. He was an a-hole. A controlling one at that.

Do not beat yourself up. You will use it as an excuse to drink.

Chin up!!