Notices

Weekends are hard

Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekends are hard

This would typically be around the time I would start cracking pints or pouring wine. Im drinking some sparkling water right now. I have a tension headache and feeling anxious. Im also feeling antsy? bored? Guess im not sure what to do with myself ..this was my drinking time. Sober 2 weeks.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Took me ages to work out what to do with my weekends Sober, and not even activities on a Fri/Sat evening, the question was what would I do on a Sunday morning as I wouldn't be sleeping until midday sleeping off a hangover, I'd be up fresh, wide awake with all this time on my hands.

Hang in there!!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. It's especially hard for me right now because there isn't much going on near me that's not alcohol related. I'm trying to throw myself into a research project that I've been putting off for a while. Not exactly the best way to spend a Saturday night, but it beats the alternative.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I wonder if the "antsy" thing might just be low level 'urges'. it's not easy in the first few months.Hang in there it all gets better. I found it helps to think of it as an adventure into the unknown. I came to see 'boredom' as natures way of telling me I had spare capacity- and I had to find things to do.

I am three years sober and have found I have taken on 'new' interests and hobbies, activities- a mixture of getting my house in order, getting out and about, and taking up creative pursuits. The latest thing is making mixed media art- I've never done anything like this before.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Crazy when we think this was my drinking time.. pouring poison down ones throat in the name of fun ! Think I would rather be bored senseless than going back to doing that again, takes a while to see things like this but you will

Grind it
Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Antsy.......I am THERE.

2 weeks in.......1st week was a breeze.

2nd week, I'm starting to think MAYBE I can do this, MAYBE this will be longer than I expected, NOW I am starting to flip out a bit.

Had to take Excedrin for headaches a few times recently including today to. I have no idea what to do with myself either. I don't WANT to do anything. I have no motivation to do anything. I'm in a strange unfamiliar place.

I know I am not going to drink. So I am not fighting a trip to the bar or liquor store....just fighting with myself...over nothing in particular.

Anyway, that's my story Carrie, you aren't alone. If I had a solution to share, I probably wouldn't have been on the computer reading your post. Thanks for posting and giving me a place to vent.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weekends are tough carrie. I did a boat load of family/useful things today and now the bad business is creeping in. Stay strong. I am trying to give it all I've got as well
Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sums it up perfectly, exactly what im going through too Gronk. Ty for sharing it helps knowing others get it. Im going to take a walk and try and clear my head.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Charlie! Ive had sobriety before and I know it does get so much better.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Indeed, weekends were my time. The first ones were really hard and I remember getting a kick out of thinking wow, I can't remember the last time that I looked forward to a Monday!

Right now is the time to do something that's fun and it's whatever is within budget and whatever your heart desires. If you feel like getting a movie and eating an entire pint of chocolate ice cream yourself (hmmmm, where did I ever come up with that one ) do it. Do whatever it takes. This is the time to allow yourself whatever you need to get through this (except for you know what).

Be good to you, you're doing hard work and you're doing a great job at it! If you weren't you wouldn't be here posting about it.

Good going guys! This does get easier. I was a weekend warrior too. Tomorrow will be a new day and you'll wake up, open your eyes and smile.

You CAN do this!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there, this will eventually be easier. Keep busy, going for a walk is a great idea.

Then ice cream time!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had some popcorn chip thingies..they were tasty lol
Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
This would typically be around the time I would start cracking pints or pouring wine. Im drinking some sparkling water right now. I have a tension headache and feeling anxious. Im also feeling antsy? bored? Guess im not sure what to do with myself ..this was my drinking time. Sober 2 weeks.
Weekends do get better with more sober time. I'm a little past 2 months sober and I still think about drinking on Fridays and Saturdays, but I no longer crave it or really have urges. It's more just thoughts that occasionally pop up that I am able to observe with more neutrality rather than panic or fear that i am going to act on them.

I would suggest finding new hobbies or things to do with people that aren't drinking. I've taken up hiking for instance, there is a group near my town that meets for hikes on Sat and Sun mornings, good sober weekend activity.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Carrie, is there something creative you used to enjoy or would like to try? It might be a nice addition to your sparkling water. BTW, try adding a few slices of summer fruit to that glass -- it looks festive and tastes great.

Congrats on your two weeks!