Notices

Identity of the av

Old 08-09-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Identity of the av

When in recovery and experiencing recovery symptoms and paws, when the brain heals, an addict's imagination can be wound in many directions. And it can all feel so real.

The addictive voice is termed as the enemy by other alcoholics who have gone through recovery, AVRT and also a common invented idea of the "addictive devil", the dark or the beast side.

I'm beginning to think that while it is true that recovery takes a lot of work and effort and the cravings are to any addict real as hell, there is still a lot of misconception about the theme of the av.

What is often overlooked is that alcohol, by nature causes certain identifiable changes in the user's brain function. This includes paranoia, especially of an unidentified threat, and has to do with brain chemistry, how it can arouse "fear" and the nervous system. By this mechanism, a person in recovery may experience things and thoughts differently than a normal person would. This unidentified threat often becomes the av, the addictive voice, and in the wild imagination caused by recovery symptoms and possibly stress, it gains a personality of its own and it seems that it has a real, and evil personality of its own. It feels like that... The point still is that it is most likely caused by the persons paranoid stressed experience, where the mind or brain is seeking for an enemy that doesn't exist and the imagination gives out a helping hand and proves it over and over that there is such. You've found it, an evil addictive voice.

Just some thoughts...
Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm not too sure on the ins and outs, but if alcohol is all our brains have known for years, it makes sense that it will react negatively when alcohol is taken out of the equation, due to as you say changes in brain chemistry.

Factor in the stresses the body is then put under due to withdrawals, the physiological shock of coming to terms with living without alcohol, and the long term adjustments required to adapt to Sobriety.

As humans we would rather not embrace change, stick to our comfort zone, and so we end up in a constant battle with ourselves to make it happen, those with longer Sober times confirm this all fades with time, so that would be the case as new habits are carved out and the body adjusts!!

That is how it seems to me!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yesterday a work...I was passing by an opened, frosty can of beer on a shelf. I work at a golf course and a customer had put it there I guess. Something inside my head screamed "grab it, drink it...bwaaaaaahahahah". It was the wierdest, craziest thing.

I did not do it of course. I pour draft all day long. I open cans and bottles...I pour wine and mix drinks. Not once has my AV ever popped up like that.

Suddenly, my AV wanted somebody else's booze? It wanted me to shame myself and steal and cause a scene??? WHAT THE HECK???
Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome insight, UnixBer. When you take away the biochemical aspect of paranoia, you are left with the psychological aspect of it. Psychodynamic therapists believe that the foundation of paranoia is projection, which involves disowning one's own thoughts, perceptions and beliefs, and attributing them to a third party. One reason that the Rational Recovery approach can work is that it helps people to externalize their addiction (see it as `the addictive voice'). In my view, this encourages people to examine the relationship between the owned (healthy part) disowned (addictive part) of self. Recognizing what you have just recognized - that the threat is actually coming from self - brings those inner dynamics to full consciousness. With improved awareness like this, you can eventually kill the inner-conflict and achieve sustained recovery. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once I admitted to myself that I was an alcoholic, dealing with the AV became simple. After all I have spent years listening to AV telling me that I didn't have a problem. AV convinced me that the reason I could drink a case of beer a night was because I was a bigger guy. AV told me I deserved to drink I worked hard today. AV told me I needed to drink cause I was stressed. AV told me it was time to drink to celebrate when something good happened. AV told me to drink to drown my sorrows when something sad happened. To hell with AV. Listened to that BS for too many years.