Notices

Cravings and anxiety

Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings and anxiety

Today I'm having a lot of anxiety and the cravings are overwhelming.

The cravings come and go every 10-15 minutes or so, but the anxiety is constant, since 5 in the morning and it's mid afternoon here now.

I'm trying to stay busy cleaning the house, went for a walk, but I am running out of energy. This anxiety is consuming. Right now I'm exhausted.

I would really appreciate some help.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there,

The first thing I try and focus on when I get anxious is my breathing. When I'm wound up, I just stop breathing properly- it's not that clever :=]

The thing I've found is that I forget to empty my lungs when I'm stressed. So I'll do something like: close my eyes, breathe in for a count of three, hold it for a count of three and breathe out for a count of three and repeat. For me, making sure my lungs are really empty is the key. It doesn't fix my anxiety but it really seems to help. Take care.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try to break down, what exactly alcohol is going to do for you? or what you think alcohol is going to add to the situation?

For me alcohol simply helped me escape, it didn't fix the things I was worried or anxious about, those things were still there the next morning, I then had to deal with them with a hangover, which was an even worse experience, alcohol is not the answer for very much in life!!

Hang in there, cravings are simply that, they come and go, you remain in control of the cards and get to decide whether to ignore them or not!!

You can get through this!!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try having a good meal. Or a bowl of ice cream. I found food to be a good deterrent to cravings. For the anxiety, try a nice hot bath. Or a cup of chamomile tea.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your help.

I think what's causing the cravings is that there are a few beers in the fridge. My husband likes to drink a few beers on his days off. He's fine, not an alcoholic.

That never bothered me before. My problem was wine mostly, and rum on really bad days.

But today and out of the blue my AV keeps reminding me of that beer.

I can't throw it out, if I do my husband would think I drank it.

Hoping the cravings and anxiety pass soon.

Thank you so much for your support.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I struggle with anxiety as well, today has been especially bad. I have started going and power walking at the track every night for an hour and find this really helps reduce my stress, anxiety and cravings
Old 08-08-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

You probably know a lot more than I do, but in my short period urges seemed to be linked to the HALT idea; hungry/angry/lonely/tired.

Maybe rest = nap since you posted exhausted.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're exhausted, can you stop and relax. Listen to some good music, read a book for awhile, calm your mind. You can get through this.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really feel for you having to deal with the temptation right there. I know how that feels and you have probably run through a thousand excuses as to why you should have one of those beers. Don't think about why you want one think about how devastating it will be for you after its gone. You need to remove the temptation, stick them in the garage or garden shed, just somewhere further away. I always find laughing helps me to relax and unwind, get on Youtube and watch some clips of funny tv shows, outtakes, animal vids, whatever makes you laugh. Hope some of that helps.