Notices

Question for the Ladies ! :)

Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question for the Ladies ! :)

Day 36 ...Woo hoo! Although I was never an everyday drinker ( weekend party woman ) This is progress and I am proud of myself.

This month's monthly visit was quite bothersome , Did you guys go through that in the early days? I was in some pain! Had anxiety, Tired, Wanted to eat everything and esp. sweets ...chocolate and very emotional. My periods have always sucked but this one extra sucked.

Just curious ...I hope next month will be better

Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was quite a revelation for me... somehow the drinking actually helped my periods feel so easy and bearable. Once I quit... BAM! It was like nothing I remember Granted, I was drinking lots of caffeine and consuming lots of ice-cream early on. I've cut way back on caffeine and eliminated 90% of processed sugars. The periods now are barely even noticeable as far as cramps/pain/bloat. I do still get emotional, sometimes a little crazy (says my husband).

They have balanced out in the past year of sobriety, so I would suggest just watching caffeine, sugar, and processed foods intake.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

My monthly stopped while drinking heavily. It coming back after being sober is normal for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I need to watch my sugar intake!! I try and eat fruits when I want sweets. BUT I WANT CHOCOLATE AND CAKE AND COOKIES :p
Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish my monthly stopped , I have it on time and for 7-8 days :/
Old 08-07-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I'm with you, don't like the monthly but it is my nature. Hubby and I decided no kids, but I have time to change my mind.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ive never had bad periods, but all the aches and pains came back with not drinking. Sugar cravings are totally normal, alcohol has a ton of sugar.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Urm, I don't really feel anything different. I'm regular, and I've always had the worst cramps and cravings each month. Drinking or not drinking didn't really change it for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a great post. As I'm getting older, my periods seem to be getting worse. I'm sure that it's aging and a hormonal thing. That said, while drinking heavily the passed four years, I noticed that my worst binges occurred right before I started, during my pms. I experience really intense anxiety with my pms, and have had a very difficult time trying to manage it while still maintaining my sobriety. I'm used to relying on wine during that time to relax, but must learn a new way to cope. I've cut out caffeine, and that has helped with some physical symptoms, yet I still have crippling anxiety. I'm trying to up my calcium intake and keep a record of how I feel during that time of the month. While I think that you're body is still adjusting to not drinking, maybe after keeping a record of your own monthly experiences can help you to see improvements or notice a pattern. Maybe seeing a doctor would be a good idea if you haven't noticed any improvements as your length of sobriety increases.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me things related to my cycle and periods were another area that was much worse and unpredictable while drinking. I would sometimes have PMS and periods from hell both in terms of emotional states and cramps/pain. Other times no idea I was going to have my period, and because while drinking, I often did not pay attention to the time of month, I would just get it out of the blue. Also spotting between periods that doctors could never put down to anything in particular. I also thought, these must have been at least in part due to aging, but since I quit drinking, all this weirdness disappeared. Alcohol is well known to have an effect on estrogen and other hormonal regulation, so I guess not a surprise.

In the past ~6 months I mainly just had "normal" regular periods with really not much PMS. I definitely noticed that some of my worst alcohol cravings tend to be during the 2-3 day time before my periods start. But not only for alcohol, I tend to have cravings for an entire universe of things that I like during that time - one reason why I debated going on birth control now, but in the end I said *** it, I handled this well, won't get on yet another new drug that will mess with my brain, right now (just started antidepressants).

It seems like we vary in this area
Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've also noticed that I would go on a nasty binge right before I started my period. I always wondered if there was some hormonal connection to binge drinking and the menstrual cycle.

I tried to briefly research and didn't find anything useful to support my hypothesis. Although, as I get older I notice my menses has become less and less noticeable whether I was consuming alcohol or not. I am thinking that each body is unique and therefore every experience is also unique to that person. Keeping a personal log would be a good idea.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Alcohol is well known to have an effect on estrogen and other hormonal regulation...
Yes!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK this is an area that REALLY changed. When I was drinking, I had unbearably heavy periods that last 6-7 days. Sometimes they really worried me. Lots of large blood clots. Gross I know but this is for the ladies, if any guy is here, well, you were warned!

For 2-3 days, the heavy days, I could barely walk across a room, without a flood. It was totally gross and when I woke up, I couldn't make it to the bathroom, I mean I tried, I would sprint, but it was like Niagra Falls.

I went sober on a Saturday and I got my period that Thursday. OMG. It was 3 days! Thur, Fri and Sat..by Sun it was gone.

That is when I really realize how much alcohol was f-ing up my body.

I also was juicing tons and tons fresh veggies. Lots of lemons. No processed foods. The only bad thing was Diet Pepsi which I have since quit.

I also used to wake up so stuffy. That was gone.

So I tried to figure out the changes and realized I went from a very acidic diet to a very alkaline diet and that is supposed to get rid of mucus in the body and they say too much mucus in the body is what causes disease.

So anyhow...I'm trying to avoid too many acidic things in my diet but I'm not going overboard because it's hard, sometime I need that ice cream.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Trouble1234 View Post
Day 36 ...Woo hoo! Although I was never an everyday drinker ( weekend party woman ) This is progress and I am proud of myself.

This month's monthly visit was quite bothersome , Did you guys go through that in the early days? I was in some pain! Had anxiety, Tired, Wanted to eat everything and esp. sweets ...chocolate and very emotional. My periods have always sucked but this one extra sucked.

Just curious ...I hope next month will be better

It will xxx
Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rachelle77 View Post
That said, while drinking heavily the passed four years, I noticed that my worst binges occurred right before I started, during my pms. .
I noticed a pattern there too.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you ladies !!! I appreciate your input ....Mine have always been crappy but this month was worse. I am sure it will even out and get better !!

day 37 !!!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on day 37! Can totally relate to these posts as I am 49 and things are changing that is for sure.

I wonder how many guys have look at this thread because of the title . hahahahahahaha
Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~Music is my mantra ----{-@

Originally Posted by rachelle77 View Post
I noticed that my worst binges occurred right before I started, during my pms.
Wow...this is true for me too. A couple days before my moon, and day one are the absolute worst! I think it's really interesting that so many of us seem to have this in common. I honestly never really put it together before reading this thread. There is most definitely a connection between alcohol and hormones... Just another reason to maintain sobriety.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I just got period today and guess what? I had NO idea. When I was drinking, I knew I was getting my period because I was just crazy. Just insane. Everyone ran for cover. But I am also juicing, lots of fresh juice. I think that also helps.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One day when you least expect it you
will realize it that it's all gone and a feeling
of this freedom will come over you.

Im not sure how old you are, but at about
51 for me, it wasn't there anymore.

When they say, this too shall pass. Believe
it, it will pass.