Notices

Ok Dreams

Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok Dreams

I get the nightmares.... but last night I dreamed (I want to say Dreamt) I was drinking a gigantic bottle of bourbon... like 3.5 foot tall.

I didn't think anything of it in my dream as I remembered that I would normally "drink more" if I skipped a day.... lol. Glad that wasn't real.

Anyone else?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeap I get drinking dreams all the time, it's quite a ride sometimes!!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I still get them occasionally, but they were pretty common early on. They are just dreams, and I equated them to my mind stretching it's legs after being permanently sedated for so many years.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha i had the same type of dream the other night. I'm on day 8 sober and have actually had two dreams that i remember where i drank.. Woke up feeling really depressed that i had slipped up only to realize that it was just a dream. It actually made me more dedicated to quitting though.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have always had really cool, epic movie type dreams. Since being sober, (day 15) I've had a few dreams about drinking, I woke up so sad, then So happy it wasn't real! It's funny that you posted about dreams because I was going to see if anyone here on SR could help me figure this one out. Last night before I went to sleep I prayed that I would dream about my dad. (He was an alcoholic, but one of the most handsome, witty, successful man I've known. I'm an only girl, so I was his princess. Turns out alcohol was his way to medicate anxiety & depression, he took his life 11 years ago, my husband & I found him). I did have a dream last night, but it was strange. My dad was like a Mafioso godfather and he & his men were out to kill me! I was leaping through trees & building a rock fort to hide from bullet fire. Two points in the dream a kind stranger came to my aid... very weird. I hv three brothers who have all suffered a great deal since my dads death. All 4 of us struggle with alcohol. We joke that it's because we are Irish, but really it's because we don't want to be 'present' we hate dealing with anything & we sweep everything under the rug. Maybe I subconsciously blame my dad for all our issues, like him giving up is killing us, or at least chasing us? Hmmmm. Any dream interpreters here?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just had a series of drinking dreams last night..., among many other aspects of the dreams that were very intense and fascinating. I love my dreams... most of the time. I don't always like when I drink in my dreams, but it tends to carry interesting messages. I also find that my bad dreams and nightmares correlate pretty well with what I do and think during the day prior, so if I improve my days, it tends to improve my nighttime musings as well. Not surprisingly of course, it's the same mind generating all of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's something else along with what haennie said: If I do a gratitude journal entry as one of my last tasks or if I end the night watching a sitcom instead of practically any other type of TV, I have a restful no-nightmare night. Probably why it's best to end the day with positive thoughts and why prayer has been a bedtime custom for years.

Except not that kid prayer, "If I should die before I wake..."

WTH? I used to have all kinds of scary thoughts about how I was going to die in the night. Who came up with that prayer?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL Biminiblue,
That prayer freaks me out too!! Seems like that prayer happens often in horror movies before something horrible happens. Thanks that made me laugh!!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can honestly say the dreams have been the best part of my sobriety. So vivid! I have been lucky that the nightmares are few and far between. The drinking ones are intense as I usually wake up mad I drank due to how vivid the dream was. I only have those every month or so now.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuckcheese View Post
LOL Biminiblue,
That prayer freaks me out too!! Seems like that prayer happens often in horror movies before something horrible happens. Thanks that made me laugh!!
My mother made me say that prayer every night. What are they thinking? Five year olds shouldn't dread every bedtime because they have to ask God to take their soul if they die in their sleep!!!! I didn't even know what a soul was. All I knew about death was that people cried and you never got to see grandpa again.

No wonder I didn't go to sleep easily! That's messed up, man.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuckcheese View Post
LOL Biminiblue,
I have a 7 year old and we do custom prayers. Just saying thanks for the beautiful day and ask to have dreams with ice cream and candies! LOL!