Notices

Vulnerability

Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vulnerability

I know we're all different but I'm curious to those who have had more success or experience with sobriety - when (if ever) do you start to feel more safe, less vulnerable to relapsing? Is there/will there be a time when I feel "I've got this", I won't relapse....does that make sense? I feel so incredibly vulnerable right now. 52 days sober, and I'm not expecting it to be now, this soon. But does it ever get easier?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Truly accepting that you are an alcoholic helps. I live by this:
If I am an alcoholic then I can't drink. If I am not then I don't need to.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure I've ever felt like 'I've got this' because recovery is a journey. But, for me, deciding that drinking was no longer an option, really helped. And, I was really careful. I stayed away from places and people where alcohol was involved for many months and that really helped to reduce my vulnerability.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's been three and a half years for me. I've been given a reprieve from alcohol. A daily reprieve as long as I keep my spiritual and mental state in order.
I'm vulnerable. I'm an alcoholic and can never safely drink again. I have to live this way every day. Aware.
I no longer crave alcohol. It doesn't bother me being around it. But it is my enemy and it's out to kill me like it almost did when I was an active drinker.
I come here and read the Newcomers threads, and am reminded of what it's like 'out there'. Such pain. Such suffering.
I also always keep in the back of my mind what it was like for me. The fear, crushing anxiety and remorse.
I tried to quit a hundred times. And now, no, I don't have it made. I'm one drink away from a drunk. Always.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

90-days was a big milestone for me, I think that proved something to me. My mind set shifted from I think I can do this to I am doing this. It wasn't long after that I started to become more comfortable living sober. I started processing life challenges and life stress better, and became more comfortable socializing without booze.
For me there is a balance to maintain in becoming more comfortable with sober life, I need to be cautious I never become complacent.

Good job on 52-days