Notices

First post on a forum ever.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post on a forum ever.

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I have posted on a forum so Im a bit new to this.
I am in my mid thirties, married with no children and have used alcohol over the years to help deal with....well life...

I am originally from Canada and left home when I was 19 and moved to Australia on my own. I have been here for 17 years and am now an australian citizen. I have never been close to my family and in fact I speak to my parents about once or twice a year through email and do not speak at all to my siblings.

Ive always found it hard to maintain female friendships in Australia, I dont know if it because Im too opinionated or outspoken or people are intimidated by me. I am a text book extrovert and love to connect with people but aussie woman are hard to crack!

I have been seeing a psychologist for years now and she wanted me to start Naltrexone this week. I have the script in my bag but I am determined to do this myself without drugs. I know its always there if I need it.

I have gone cold turkey on Monday 4th August, its now day 4 and Im doing ok. Trying to keep busy in the evenings....but I have to admit Im not looking forward to the weekend.

How do you get through a friday night? I used to start drinking at 5pm at work, head to the bottle shop for wine tastings and then polish off 1 or 2 bottles at home....that was my way to relax.

Happy to hear about any suggestions everyone has to get through the weekends.

Thanks for reading
Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Victoria

I think support really helps - we have a weekenders thread here, a busy newcomers forum and other support threads.

I spent my first few Fridays here - it gets easier

good to have you aboard

D
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome victoria. I posted my first post anywhere here on SR as well.

Congratulations on day 4. Tons of support here.

Stay strong.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a lot of ways to say sober on Fridays. Only one way to not stay sober. If you have plans with friends try to go to a movie, walk, or anything that will not tempt you.

If you need a drink then get something that will stimulate your mouth. I enjoy carbonated water. Has a small burn to it. Put ice in your cup. It will stimulate your mouth more with a cold sensation. At night drink non caffeinated sleepy tea. Once your past the physical withdrawal its more mental. So the more things that stimulate the 5 senses the better. At least in my experience. Welcome and I wish you the best.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Victoria, I passed through my first sober weekend last weekend. I did it with determination and the support of the kind people here. I continued on with my normal social routine, just without alcohol. That said, some of the others with more experience warned me that at first it might be best to take it easy. I think I will give the "taking it easy" a go this weekend.
Soda water with lime is a nice alcohol substitute. I was a huge wine drinker, so didn't think something non-grapey would appeal to me, but I love it. It is refreshing and feels like a real beverage instead of just water.
I have quit and started so many times I couldn't even begin to count, but this time I have made it my longest- 9 days. I felt obsessed with alcohol and I found that shifting that obsessive quality to something else was a helpful way to move from the alcohol.
In the first days I tried to take extreme care of myself. I took baths, gave myself at home facial masks, painted my toenails, tweezed my eyebrows, exercised, put oil treatments in my hair to sleep in...... I made smoothies with fresh fruit, took my vitamins, etc. etc. Anytime I felt like drinking I tried to immediately find something that felt caring or nurturing for my body- the one I had abused with alcohol for so many years.

It is not easy, but you can do it. You will feel so much better in just a few short days. Best of luck and know that there are so many helpful and caring people here, as I said, I couldn't have done it without them.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old habits are hard to break but to keep from drinking I had to change things up. I didn't stop at the places I always had stopped. Too easy to buy alcohol if I did. Right now I attend a beginners AA meeting that starts after work. I found that once I got through the few hours when I would usually start drinking I felt a lot better. And started filling that time with healthier activities. Maybe take a walk? Go for coffee.

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations with your 4 days. I needed to attend meetings every night because I drank every night and it was wonderful to be among people who understand each other and were so supportive. At first I was quite undisciplined and gradually see things, me, getting better when I followed directions.

Stopping drinking is simple, not always easy so continued attendance is necessary for me and many others to maintain sobriety and sanity.

BE WELL
Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Victoria.

Congrats on wanting to get sober. Like Dee says, there are lots of resources here.

Filling in gaps of time are hard in the beginning. Saturday night was my one, so I committed to driving myself out and going to the movies every Saturday night, no matter what.

I did lots of other things, but definitely understand you feeling a bit cautious about the weekends.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you like to stay in at weekends, maybe get some rental movies, popcorn and ice cream
and wash you favorite flannel pjs.

sleep, eat good food, take some walks if you feel like it, and lots of hot baths and showers.

Detox can be uncomfortable.
I always keep a relaxing novel and a journal by the bed in case I can't sleep.

The important thing is to take care of yourself and support the process of detox and healing.

If you get stir crazy, maybe hit a nice shopping area or coffee shop.
I also think going out for a treat dining-wise that's alcohol-free is good.
Dim Sum is a personal favorite for me as it goes best with tea in my opinion.

Welcome and be sure to post here if you are suffering, want to check in, and well before
you do anything rash like relapse. Process gets easier each day you are sober--

Joining the weekender thread, or August class would also be a great idea
Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Victoria
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Victoria!!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Victoria!!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to us! There is a lot of support here. Post a lot.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

I am starting Friday night with an AA meeting and hoping there will be an opportunity for some coffees afterwards. It's my first weekend too.

Lots of support here for you. Also I love Australia!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well victoria, it's no secret that we can use all the help we can get.

welcome to the forum