Notices

Going to shows sober is sooooo much fun!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to shows sober is sooooo much fun!

I absolutely love going to see live music. It has been one of my passions since I was about 15 years old. I enjoy a wide array of music but have always been very fond of (and I don't really like this term) "jambands." There is obviously an association between these types of bands and drug and alcohol use. It's not an unfair stereotype. There is definitely drug use and consumption of alcohol at these shows. I have avoided going to shows for a while now, just because I didn't want to be tempted. But this weekend I went to see 3 Phish shows in 3 different cities. Holy crap did I have fun. I danced, met a lot of interesting and friendly people, high fived and hugged complete strangers, and had just an all around amazing time. And I was sober the WHOLE time. It was so liberating to know that I would have no problems in driving back to my hotel after the shows, and even if I were stopped by the police for a traffic violation, I wouldn't have anything to worry about because I wouldn't have any illegal drugs on me. It was such a great experience that I will cherish always. I am still on cloud 9 from this weekend and it felt amazing to go to the shows and just enjoy the music completely sober.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm with you, Teddy. I recently went to three days of shows (Railroad Earth, Greensky Bluegrass, Wood Bros., Warren Haynes) and found I had much more energy than the alcohol and weed consumers (but probably a little less than those on acid or speed, but ya know...).

Knowing you're legal is killer. Driving from the show and not having to rely on a ride from someone else who is probably high is a real plus. Fewer trips to the bathroom. Clear and meaningful conversations and connections with folks. Taking in the music with all it's glory and not leaning on chemical enhancement. It's all good.

I was busking in the lot for fun and tips, and these kids kept offering me beer, weed, mushrooms... I kept saying "I'm good" but they wanted to thank me with more than cash. Finally, one guy said, "I can't figure out what you want."

Responding with "I really don't want anything" brought a rush of glee through my entire body because I realized that at that moment it was absolutely true. "I could use some water, though." A cold bottle of water dropped immediately into my hand.

Though I'll never get drunk or high again, I have to admit that substances make for appreciative audiences that seem easier to please, and I kind of like being a non-preachy beacon for those considering whether they could have fun without substances.

Damn right you can, children!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very liberating when alcohol is out of the equation, actually remembering the whole night is one of the benefits I found!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phish <3
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How fun!!! I can't wait to have that experience myself Great job xoxo
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you, Teddy. I went to a handful of shows this year too - I love concerts.

I was going to a couple AA meeting with my wife's cousin and he told me "no concerts". I told him there was no way in hell that I was NOT going to concerts. During times of sobriety, it was never a place or situation like that that made me relapse - it was usually when I was by myself in my car driving or something like that. If that type of situation did stir me up, that would be a different story I guess.

When I'm at the shows, I watch the people around me that are getting drunk and it makes me feel a lot better about being sober while reminding me how obnoxious it can make me. Besides going to the big show, 2 of my sons have a band and they play in bars all the time. I don't try to make it to all of them, but I do try to go to a couple when they're local. I always feel better being sober amongst the drunks - it does make me sad though too because I see others going through it.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going to a concert this weekend and I am also excited about being able to enjoy it without having to worry about getting too drunk or driving!

The funny thing is when I used to think about not drinking, I would also associate that with not being free to do what I want...turns out it's been the opposite