Notices

devil or Angel?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

devil or Angel?

I've only got a few days sober so far and last night I was having a really tough time at work. The last hour was he'll for me because every night after work I would normally go buy beer. I was an emotional wreck and was taking it out on my coworkers. As soon as I clocked out I went outside determined to pray and not buy beer. I sat outside on a bench reading the A's daily thought for the day. A sort of calm came over me and I felt a lot better.
As I sat there waiting for a friend I work with to join me a homeless man walk up and joins me on the bench. I said hi, cuz I'm nice to everyone til they aren't nice to me. We chatted about whether my job was hiring and small talk stuff. Then he pulls a bag off his bike that had 5 pints of beer in it. He said that he had a tent across the way in the woods and invited me over to drink with him. I was extremely uncomfortable at this point so I said I had to go back inside and for him to have a nice night. After relieving me of my pocket change we parted ways. I told my friend about what had happened and she told me that the devil will show himself in mysterious ways just like God will. After a lot of thought I came to believe that what that guy showed me was what I don't want. I don't want to end up like him. Right now, because I'm trying to better my life and stay sober, there is no chance that I'm going to end up living in a tent in the woods, panhandling for my next drink. If I keep drinking, who knows what could happen. I like to think that the next time I see that mani will feel grateful for the opportunity to see the future of alcoholism.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yep, you got to make a choice in real life that most only make in their imagination.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Youre going to do well. Might of been a sign. You were being tempted. You prevailed. Be proud of yourself.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would definitely chalk that one up as a "meaningful coincidence." Sometimes negative role models are just as important as positive ones.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i had a similar expereince once

i did a lot of service work as i was out of work and the intergroup gave me a ticket to attend the convention as a thank you that was being held

so i went along heard some great shares and everyone was patting each other on the back and feeling great about being in the fellowship etc

then it came to lunch time and they all raced off to get there seats at the 12 uk pounds a head meal they were having and i couldn't have one as i couldn't afford it

so went off around the city center moaning to myself and calling all the rich alcoholics who were not interested in me a lot of names under my breath, i was fed up of being poor and couldn't afford things and was moaning away dont you think just one of them would of thought about me blah blah

i ended up at a cake shop and bought myself a sausage roll and a coke and i moaned about the price of that to lol

so there i was sitting in the city center with my sausage roll and coke moaning about the other alcoholics who were having a sit down dinner etc

then up pops a tramp carrying his drink and looking as rough as hell, my whole outlook changed
how lucky i was to have that sausage roll and a can of coke and be sitting there sober : )
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have noticed all sorts of "meaningful coincidences" since I sobered...moments of synchronicity that just seem to say "stay with it..this is the way...I'm trying to tell ya somethin here"
Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nope
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'd say you encountered an angel showing you your future drinking
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Definitely a Divine Sign. You're doing great!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum snakegrrl!!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done! I believe everything happens for a reason x
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd say you were sitting somewhere and a person sat beside you with beer and invited you to drink with him and you declined--EXCELLENT CHOICE! Congrats on saving your own ash.