I just want him to leave!!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just want him to leave!!

Three months ago I let an old friend stay on my couch while he was looking for an apartment in town. (His job requires him to move every six months or so.)

I always knew him as a "party guy" but I didn't really understand the depth of his problem.

At first he was fun and respectful so the week turned into a couple of weeks. Which I didn't mind. Then the drinking really started. He would go out some nights with his friends. Again I didn't mind.

Now its escalated to him not going to work for the last two days. Waking up and drinking. Hiding booze around the house. Destroying my property as a result of being sloppy drunk. Spending his entire paychecks on drinking and who knows what else. I am pretty sure he owes money all around town.

I have been trying to get this person out of my house for two months now. He wont leave. Mainly, I think, because he has no money (he drank it all), no other friends (he alienated them all).

I don't know how I can get him to leave. Is there any advice you all have. I actually don't know what to do here.

Help!!

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I assume you have asked him to leave. If not, then do so. If he continues to stay slap him with a three day eviction notice. You can find them free over the internet.

If that does not work then a formal, court ordered eviction may be necessary.

He will continue to do what he is doing as long as he is getting away with it.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have asked him to leave....repeatedly.

He isn't a tenant, he doesn't have a lease or isn't on a lease with me.
Can I still get a 3-day eviction??? I'm in NY state.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found this

How to Evict a Guest in Your Home in New York City | eHow

Personally I would find one of those ten day notices online. Fill it out and hand it to them.

There also seems to be some law about trespassing in NY state if a guest remains after being asked to leave.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

clhenderson....I reallllly empathize with you....as I have been burned in the past, myself. I found that having a generous heart can leave one very vulnerable to being taken advantage of.
I live in virginia and the laws are written very much in favor of the tenant. Here, even if they are not a tenant...the law still applies if they have taken your place as their home--and that is done very easily!!!!! Legally, it can be done (fetting him to go) in as little as ten days IF they decide to just go. If not, it can stretch to as l ong as 30days---as long as 60 days if they happen to know the law and decide to fight you in court!!

I hope, for your sake, that the New York laws are written more in your favor. They probably are. Off the top of my head, I would say to try to get him to leave on his own....and talk to someone who knows the law in your area.

I wish I could offer you m ore help.

The saying "It is hard to get rid of a drunk" really does apply, here.

I have been much more discriminating in how I dispense my own generosity. I got burned too much....

dandylion
Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is possible but I had a "friend" stay with me for a time and refused to leave. I have friends in another state from where I was living at the time, who are in law enforcement, that told me to call the local police and tell them that I had someone in my home staying without my permission (that's the way to phrase it). The police came over within the hour and I had to ask the person in front of the police to leave and they had the person removed. They were not arrested but the police intervened and stayed until the person left (it took all of 30 mins). It may vary state to state but that's what I did. Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I do think that the l aws vary, considerably, from state to state. Here, in virginia, the fact that you let the person stay, at all, constitutes "permission".

dandylion