Notices

Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are these withdrawal symptoms?

32yr old male, just got back from a week vacation that included too much drinking. I went two days with a hair of the dog approach followed by a bad hangover. A day off followed by two days of moderate-to-heavy drinking, and followed the last two days up with starting at 5pm on Friday and once again hair of the dog into Saturday evening. Sunday was the worst hangover I’ve ever had in my life, and I think I was still drunk at 3pm before it even began to set in. I slept terribly that night and kept waking up with dizzy spells.

The day after the hangover (yesterday) I felt groggy but not sick like the day before. In fact I had a pretty productive day and didn’t seem to be mentally or physically dragging. But I didn’t feel like myself: my eyes burned and my lower back was sore, my ears were very stopped up and one of my lymph nodes was swollen at the base of my neck. Then last night I got chills before I went to bed and had one night sweat last night; although it wasn’t so bad I had to change sheets/clothes and didn’t happen after I fell back asleep, but it definitely got me quite wet and I also slept quite poorly after that just due to stress.

Today I feel a lot better, but the ear congestion, lymph node swelling symptoms are still there. And just knowing now I also had a night sweat really scares me since those are symptoms of a lot of terrible things (lymphoma, HIV, TB). Not to mention the anxiety of something more severe is probably making it all worse. Is lymph node swelling, ear congestion, night sweats, and lower back pain symptoms of alcohol withdrawal post-binge that you know of or have ever experienced? I know it’s not a good thing to have alcohol withdrawal, but at least if I know that’s what it is then I don’t have to worry about the other things.

First time for me to have withdrawal that I know of. Man it sucks. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like it could be
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jason64 View Post
Is lymph node swelling, ear congestion, night sweats, and lower back pain symptoms of alcohol withdrawal post-binge that you know of or have ever experienced?
I had some night sweats and lower back pain, yes. Probably lymph node swelling as well.

If you are very concerned, maybe schedule a consult with a doc.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually, a hangover IS a form of withdrawal. If you're worried about your health I'd suggest two things: stop drinking, and see your doctor.

Welcome to the site.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Best checking in with a Dr just to be safe!!